Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

My HP laptop showing 2 cores, 2 logical processors instead of 2 cores, 4 logical processors.

Manya
Beginner
Good day everyone.

My Laptop Spec:

Hp 240 G7 Notebook Pc

Intel Core i3, 7020U @2.30GHz

4gb Ram...

The problem is when i first purchased the laptop like 3 months ago, in the 'system information' and 'device manager' centre, it has been showing '2 cores, 4 logical processors'...

Now, when windows 11 came out and i was trying to enable 'secure boot' in BIOS Mode, in the process i also changed some settings which i can't recall and since then both in 'system information's and 'device manager' centre, it has been showing '2 cores, 2 logical processors' instead of the original '2 cores, 4 logical processors'..

I don't know if it's the secure boot i enabled in BIOS Mode that's making it to show only 2 logical processors or is there any other way to change it back to its original 4 logical processors...

Please help...

Thanks in advance...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are two possibilities, (1) Hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS or (2) Threads have been disabled in Windows. The former can be determined by looking in BIOS Setup. The latter can be determined by running MSCONFIG, selecting the Boot tab and then clicking on Advanced Options. To enable all Cores and Threads, uncheck (clear) Number of Processors.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are two possibilities, (1) Hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS or (2) Threads have been disabled in Windows. The former can be determined by looking in BIOS Setup. The latter can be determined by running MSCONFIG, selecting the Boot tab and then clicking on Advanced Options. To enable all Cores and Threads, uncheck (clear) Number of Processors.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Manya
Beginner
Good day...
I enabled Hyperthreading in BIOS as you suggested and after rebooting everything went back to normal as '2 cores, 4 logical processors'.

Thanks very much...
0 Kudos
Manya
Beginner
For better performance of my PC, which is better... Is it enabling Hyperthreading or disabling it?...
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Enabling it, most definitely.

...S

0 Kudos
Manya
Beginner
Noted..
Thanks for your time...
I really appreciate...
Merci beaucoup...