Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

My I7-7820X is stuck at 1.19GHz?

LWilk1
Beginner

Here are; my specs

MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E (8 RAM slots total)

CPU: i7-7820x (8 cores / 16 threads)

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (4*8GB)

GPU: ASUS STRIX 1050TI

COOLER: Corsair H150i Pro

PSU: 850W Corsair

Since I re applied the thermal paste on the cpu, my clock speeds are way too low. There is a few people with this issue that I found, but no definite fix.

Launching Windows in safe mode for some reason means that when I look at the clock speed it is back to 3.6GHz. This is a temporary fix but only works while in safe mode. Is there any permanent fix?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello LWilk1, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. BIOS and Windows* Power Management settings can cause this behavior. Try these troubleshooting steps to fix it. 1. Try loading default BIOS values to make sure that voltages parameters are correct. 2. Check Windows* Power options. For example, you can change the Power Plan and the Minimum/Maximum processor state. Make sure your power options are set to High Performance. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LWilk1
Beginner

I tried to those, neither of them worked

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello LWilk1, How are you monitoring your Intel® Processor? Are you using 3rd party software? Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report. We would like to check your system configuration, memory and temperature. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LWilk1
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello LWilk1, Thank you for your response. The report attached shows that your processor is running within specifications. Temperature is fine, too. I assume Windows* was showing the correct information when you ran the tool. In this scenario, we recommend checking the following information: -Was TIM applied properly? Failure to apply TIM can cause the processor to operate inefficiently. -Is BIOS up to date? -Try reseating the processor. -Is there a pattern for this behavior? (e.g every time you boot your system, when playing games) -Check Windows* updates and apply all of them. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LWilk1
Beginner

do not know what TIM is, how do I reset the processor? There is no pattern, all of the windows updates are already in

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello LWilk1, TIM refers to the Thermal Interface Material, or thermal paste. Since the issues started after applying the thermal paste, it is important to check that it was applied properly. Please check the following information: 1. Is BIOS up to date? 2. Is your power supply connected properly? Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to check your system configuration. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LWilk1
Beginner

yes the BIOS is up to date, and yes the psu is connected properly, the file you want is attached.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello LWilk1, If you are still experiencing the issue reported on this thread, please confirm the information requested. In order to troubleshoot this issue properly, the main components of your system and BIOS configuration should be verified. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello LWilk1, The memory supported by the processor is DDR4-2666. According to the report attached, the configured Clock Speed of your memory is "3200 MHz". If the system is not running withing specifications, it may cause system instability. We recommend: A. Making sure your system is running within specifications. Altering the frequency of the processor, memory, and GPU may cause various issues. B. Reseating / reinstalling the main components of your system (PSU, GPU, Memory, Processor). C. Since the memory was not running within specifications, we recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer to make sure your system is running default values. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos