Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

My computer freezes suddenly and comes back around 6 seconds after that, in intel i5 9400f

SRome10
Beginner

Hello,

I have this problem of suddenly freezing screen, it is apparently random, I tried to play videogames to check if that was the source, but it also happens when I just have google chrome.

I tried to use setoff for the voltage + 30, when I monitored that, I see a voltage around .860 to 1.1 when I stress the CPU. I don't even reach the max voltage (1.5V).

The CPU temperature is aroung 40 C at base, and 62-67 at stress.

I use a CPU cooler : coolmaster HYPER 212.

Also I did a whole report in System Support Utility

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello SRome10,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would like to gather some additional information from you:

• Did the system work before? When did that behavior start? 
  • Were any changes made to the system? Any changes made in BIOS?
  • What software are you using to monitor the system?

We will review the report attached to update this thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
SRome10
Beginner

To check temperature I used Phantom Gaming Tuning and MSI Afterburner, CPU-Z to check frequancy and do stress tests.

Also I used for temperature and stress Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

I did changes, but then I set the default ones of the BIOS and just change Core Voltage Mode from auto to Offset + 30mV.

This problem happens with Windows 10, I have Ubuntu and there isn't any freezing problem, but the temperature reaches 70/72 C in Ubuntu.

I did an upgrade to my PC with this proc and with the MOBO Asus Phantom Gaming 4, since I installed windows completely, this happens.

I think that's it.

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Thank you for the additional information provided.

I noticed that the latest BIOS version is installed on your motherboard, which is great.

There are some steps that I would recommend:

• Have you tried reinstalling the operating system?
  • Please check for any additional option in BIOS that may be causing this behavior. For that, I would recommend checking with the board manufacturer before making any changes.
  • Please try to boot the computer using minimal configuration (motherboard, processor, Power Supply Unit, one RAM module, mouse and keyboard)

Please let us know if the freezes persist with minimal configuration.

Also, make sure that all the drivers provided by the motherboard manufacturer are up to date.

I would appreciate it if you could run the following tool and share results with me:

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

1. Once you have the results click on “File”
  2. Click on “Save Full Historical Results”
  3. Attach the file.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
SRome10
Beginner

I have tried the minimal configuration, but since it is intel i5 9400f, I need to keep the graphics card, what I would do is try the graphics in the second slot.

I haven't tried to re install the operating system, that would be my last resource given that it is no more than 1 month that I installed it. I will check with the MOBO manufacturer.

I suspect that there is a gap of communication with the graphics card and the proc/mobo, so I will try the other slot and also contact the manufacturer of the mother board.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello SRome10,

Thank you for your response and the information attached.

Based on the report, the processor is working as expected.

Please give it a try and if you have an update let us know.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
DrebBaltazar
Beginner

did you fix this? I am facing the same problem

0 Kudos
DrebBaltazar
Beginner
0 Kudos