Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

My core i7-9700K wont boot

Styck
Beginner

I just got this cpu and everytime i try to upgrade it with my compatible msi motherboard it shows signs of power. It brings up the windows logo and then freezes while loading. Im not sure on what to do since all the things that seemed to help everyone else with this issue is not helping with me.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have provided no information whatsoever. What motherboard? What BIOS (hopefully latest)? What ME firmware? What memory? What Power supply?

If you can (using old processor, obviously), download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
Styck
Beginner

Sorry i just know the very basic stuff about computers and also doesnt help im only 17 so im trying my best but here is what you told me to get.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So you are replacing an 8th gen processor with a 9th gen processor. When you do so and power on, can you get into BIOS Setup? Does it act properly while in BIOS Setup?

Since you say it is stopping at the Windows boot screen, Windows may be hanging because of the generational change in processors. You may have to reinstall Windows for the new processor.

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would booting into safe mode, restart and boot normal.

0 Kudos
Styck
Beginner

I can only boot it into BIOS setup and flash drive, i havent been able to get it to go into safe mode.

0 Kudos
Styck
Beginner

I can get it to go in BIOS setup but i cant get it into safe mode and the only error message i have seen which was only while i put my old cpu back in was boot drive error. Oh ok how would i go about reinstalling windows for the new processor?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As was reported recently, don't do this if you have an Optane Module that is enabled.

Do the following:

1. Load USB flash drive with the latest Windows install image. Use the Windows Media Creation tool, available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
  2. Install the new processor into the system
  3. Boot from this flash drive and request to upgrade your existing Windows installation (this is so you keep your existing user files and installed applications).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Styck
Beginner

sadly it didnt work so im not sure what to do but it did finally  bluescreen me and gave me Machine_Check_exception

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, you'll have to do a from-scratch reinstall of Windows 10.

...S

0 Kudos
Styck
Beginner

Um im assuming itll have to be from the blue screen options thing?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, this has nothing to do with your previous Windows installation. Power on and boot from the Windows 10 installation media that you prepared.

...S

0 Kudos