Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

My cpu doesnt reach full clock speed

Drago
Beginner

I recently bought a new pc, with an i5-10400f, and it's supposed to reach 4.3 GHz(on a single core), but in HWMonitor it shows only 3.99ghz at full load (thats on all cores), the max temp it reaches is 45°C(not stock cooler),  the max clocks I've seen are 4.093 MHz on all the cores.
I'm not sure it is the chip, or the motherboard is limiting it (gigabyte h410m s2h), thanks. 
Link to the screen: https://imgur.com/J0ZQbYz

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Drago,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

As you may know, the Turbo Boost Technology is a feature that will automatically run the processor core faster than the base frequency. However, for this to be possible the processor must be working under certain conditions: working in the appropriate power, temperature, and specification limits of the thermal design power (TDP). 

Therefore, if the workload/application is not demanding, then the processor might not reach the specified Turbo max frequency. In this case 4.30GHz. 

The tips that I can provide to you are the following: 

• Make sure that your BIOS is up to date. 
  • Ensure that the Turbo option (if available) is on in the BIOS. However, some cases the feature can be enabled by default. You can check with your motherboard manufacturer just to confirm. 
  • And most important, make sure that the processor thermal cooling is appropriate for the system. 

There are several Intel-released tools that will help to determine that the 

processor frequency is running at Turbo Boost frequency and that the processor is working as expected.

You can run the following software: 

1. Intel® Processor Identification Utility (This tool will show the measured and expected frequency) 
  2. Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (This tool will perform several stress tests to determine that the processor is working as expected) 

I hope this helps.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Drago,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Drago,

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos