Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

My i5 4690 is reaching temperatures of 91 and 98° C

MMatt20
Beginner

Hello guys ! i'm here with this problem i'm hoping perhaps i can get good advice. I've never truly checked the temps of my cpu from the day i installed it so that's been my huge mistake but luckily nothing got broken, but lately i've checked my gpu and cpu temperatures. Apparently the gpu had the fans spinning low so i fixed that with msi afterburner and lowered the gpu temp from 94 to 76. But as with the cpu i've been having high temperatures like 91 while stress loading the cpu with Heavyload and having temp of 98° while playing games like ARK Survival evolved.So course of action We checked the thermal paste with my father. We found out it was a little dry yep ,we cleaned the cpu old paste ( the heatsink didn't have any remaining), then we applied some more thermal compound to the heatsink and pasted it. we pushed the 4 pushpins like normal, pushpins looking fine from backboard but .All installation and set up of thermal compound and set of heatsink and fan looked fine. but unfortunately when i ran a stress load to cpu using "heavy load" program , again i got to 91° C and i always stop it until there to not over damage anything (regardless of this i got a record of 98°C while playing ark survival evolved). And i got readings from different programs such as speedfan , real temp and cpuid hwcompare all of them get that aprox temp from the four cores. So me and my father instantly thought the cpu fan must be going really slow cus the paste was not the prob apparently the pushpins are well expanded and everything well seated. So for the record my cpu fan ranges between 2100 to 2400 rpm on its max, is this normal speed for a i5 4690 in your opinion? (update , i checked the max the fan can go with "Asus ai suite III" and it sayed it's around "2200 RPM") later on i meddled with speedfan configuration to set on manual the cpu fan and the max i reached was 2400 rpm so that was the first sign of the fan telling me " thats the max i can reach" . So yeah again the fan at aaall times it reaches only up to 2400 RPM. But to finnish all this update i then go into checking INTEL utilities and stuff and i step into a utility thats called "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit" . This utility basically makes a full test to see if everything is in order on the cpu, Temperature test included. And guess what i got a full pass , with reaching up to 75°C only with the cores Temperature included so i'm all confused now the app even says "tempearture normal 30° C below maximum" and that is actually not true cus every other program is showing that the cpu goes up to 91° C or even More like 98° C. (Anyways , hopefully the cpu didn't get broken yet) Here's the report file from this utility if you wanna give it a quick look. But from what i make of it i think something's not right.

intel diagnostic tool report file : http://www.filedropper.com/testresultsinteli54690 http://www.filedropper.com/testresultsinteli54690

enlace

So my last question , what should i do about the high temps if the cpu fan is apparently at it's max , the pushpins are well expanded and the heatsink is with fresh thermal compound and well seated alltogether with the fan?

(random question) can i get more fan speed out of the fan if i maybe switch the 4 pin connect to CHA_FAN in the mobo , instead of the normal CPU_FAN ?

My pc specs : i5 4690

xfx r9 390

Mobo: B85M-G

DDR3 : 2x4 gb kingston 1333 mhz

Update : We tried with my father sticking a big floor (desk) fan , and we put it on maximum pointing the cpu and if there was a difference , it was just 2° C i mean the cpu reached like 85° C with that insane amount of air flowing through it so. We dont know what it is , it looks like the fan thing didn't matter. We applied silicone grease all the time for it so i wonder if thermal compound or TIM are a different kind of compound that works a lot better with the cpu. We were thinking maybe it's a voltage problem , but my max voltage is 1.124 and i heard people have 1.100 of voltage so its not big difference
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Marciokpo,

This might be caused by the misread by the temperature sensors rather than the actual processor temperature. Why not get a try? When the processor temperature is raised to 91° C, just power off your computer, remove the cpu fan and touch the surface of processor with temperature, see its actual value. http://ark.intel.com/products/80810/Intel-Core-i5-4690-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz i5-4690 has a TDP of 84W, a little bit lower than yesterday's Pentium D. But new processor and semiconductor technology would not make it to produce such a lot of overhead energy. I suggest you to use http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html HWMonitor to get another test, if the temperature still gets high, please contact with the vendors of your processors and mobo. Good luck!

Best Regrads,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
MMatt20
Beginner

Hello Janagewen, thanks for answering . I'm perhaps considering the fact the sensors may be damaged but as i browsed thorughout many sites and most people had their sensors working well in the end i suspect it's not a sensor problem . So i have two questions :

1.My B85M-G Motherboard has the bios version up to 2001. The last version is 2501 from year 2015 . Is there a possibility my mother has their cpu sensors bugged therefore?

2. My second questions is , i've found a guy that had temperature problems with his cpu and the solution was that he VERY firmly pressed the heatsink against the cpu with the pre applied thermal paste. He said that it's necessary to be firmly pressed against the cpu to conduct heat. Could this be the issue im having.?
0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Would you please post the results of HWMonitor of your system? Or let know the temperature of your processor, and the temperature of the cores of your processor? The processor surface temperature is read by the sensors of your mobo, while the temperature of each core of your processor is read by the sensors located in the processor.

0 Kudos
MMatt20
Beginner

Yes here are my exact measures while stressing the cpu using heavyload program

While playing ARK survival evolved after 4 hours , the temperatures reached 98° C. These temperatures are below 5 minutes

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

It seems everything work well. In this situation, please turn off your computer and contact your system vendors for solutions!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please follow steps available here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005776.html Troubleshooting: When Your Computer Overheats for Processors

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMatt20
Beginner

Hello Allan thanks for answering. I have in fact followed all the troubleshooting for exception of updating the bios to last version , in fear of killing the motherboard in a power shutdown or other issue. But i'm thinking this would be the last resort because if there is a misread of the sensors like janagewen said i should just disregard the sensors instead of risking the whole motherboard. But i wanted to ask you , having in mind all my other sensors work fine in my pc is there a chance the cpu heatsink / fan or cpu itself came flawed in any sort? thanks a lot for the attention.

0 Kudos