Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

My prosessors clockspeed has decreased

idata
Employee

Hi. I have a Intel core 2 duo E8500 prosessor which I bought in a computer package about a year ago. Few months ago I inserted additional RAM memory to my computer but I didn't know they were faulty. Those RAM combs caused a windows bluescreen and when I restarted the computer I got a error message on start up. I can't recall what the message said excatly but it was something about overclocking failed and asked me to input new settings or restore factory settings. I had never overclocked my computer and I didn't know what settings to input so I chose the "restore factory settings" and after that the computer started up normally. There were no more problems after that but I was pretty sure that I noticed little decrease in my computer performance after that. At the time I didn't know the reason but recently I checked my prosessor with CPU-Z program and noticed interesting problem. The Intel core 2 duo E8500 should run at about 3GHz and have a 9.2 multiplier from FSB but my prosessor is at the moment running only at 2GHz and CPU-Z says the multiplier between FSB and prosessor clock is only 6. My FSB clock hasn't changed only the multiplier. How can I increase the multiplier to 9.2 and get my missing clock rates back?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

You need to chekc that it isnt only at those speeds when the system is idling or not being stressed. There is a feature call speedstep, which when the CPU is bnot being used fully or being worked that much it will decrease the speed so to save power. Try once you have CPUz open runnign a few progrmas, openenig a few internet windws etc..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

You need to chekc that it isnt only at those speeds when the system is idling or not being stressed. There is a feature call speedstep, which when the CPU is bnot being used fully or being worked that much it will decrease the speed so to save power. Try once you have CPUz open runnign a few progrmas, openenig a few internet windws etc..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ah I didn't know that my prosessor goes into power saving state when I'm not running heavy programs. I topped the prosessor usage with Prime 95 torture test and CPU-Z showed that my prosessor was running at 3.17GHz as it should be. I must have imagined the performance lost after the blue screen. Thanks for your answer Cpt.Dogfruit.

idata
Employee

I am glad you got it sorted!!!!

0 Kudos