Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

N3150/N3700 HD Audio Passthrough

MAlme6
Novice

Hi

I want to know if Intel N3150 and N3700 works with HD Audio Passthrough?

In Baytrail (J1900 and J2900) there was an issue with HD Audio Passthrough on Windows.

Can you confirm if Braswell correct this issue?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Marcos Almeida et al,

We have finally confirmed that Braswell-based NUCs do support uncompressed surround audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio through testing in OpenELEC.

However, an updated driver is required to enable this same functionality in Windows. At this time we do not know if a new Windows driver will be developed or when it might be available. We will update the community when we have more information. I apologize for my previous post in which I stated the differently.

Regards,

View solution in original post

54 Replies
HDamp
Beginner

usually i give big words on INTEL but what they are doing here is an evidence of incapacity

nothing more and nothing less....

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi All,

This issue and your comments have been addressed to the correspondent support/engineering team within Intel.

I don't have any relevant update and cannot even promise any kind of solution at this point but we are looking into it and I will keep you updated on any progress we make.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

Thank you. Looking forwards to having any updates. We know, and have presented Intel with hard evidence that the function is there. We're just missing the part we ourselves can't do anything about - re-enabling this in the Intel Windows Display Audio drivers. Previously we could force-install Display Audio drivers intended for i3/i5 nucs onto our Celeron NUCs to make HBR bitstream passthrough work, but Intel "patched that hole" a while back.

Regards,

Jan M.

0 Kudos
YSmit
Beginner

Hello,

Was there any progress made in this matter? Lack of HD passthrough is what separates this product from being great. I'm specifically interested in drivers for N3000.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MMasu
Beginner

Hello together,

any news on this issue? Almost one month passed by and no new answers from Intel ...

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

So far, every grain of empirical evidence points to all Intel Celeron NUCs having the capacity, but Intel is intentionally keeping this function disabled through their drivers. There is always hope, but do not expect this to change. So far, the realistic option for HBR audio passthrough, is Linux - where the drivers were fixed years ago.

0 Kudos
YSmit
Beginner

It is exactly true: HBR audio passthrough works on Linux. However, under Linux an Intel driver bug with macroblocking when playing VC-1 encoded files arises. The bug exists since 2013. Seems Intel absolutely doesn't care about providing quality drivers for Windows or Linux.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi Marcos Almeida et al,

We have finally confirmed that Braswell-based NUCs do support uncompressed surround audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio through testing in OpenELEC.

However, an updated driver is required to enable this same functionality in Windows. At this time we do not know if a new Windows driver will be developed or when it might be available. We will update the community when we have more information. I apologize for my previous post in which I stated the differently.

Regards,

MMasu
Beginner

Oh great, first step is done, Intel accepts their mistake

Now hopefully they'll work on an updated driver. In my opinion it's not acceptable that a hardware company develops products and limits the features by the (Windows) driver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

are there any news? A beta driver would suffice first.

Kind regards

Torsten

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

We are still waiting for a new driver.

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike,

that´s all is very sad. The first entry in this forum thread is almost 1 year old and we wait still. I will send back my N3150. I think INTEL want that we pay the bigger CPUs with HD Audio Passthrough under Windows. Not with me!

I am going to AMD.

Kind regards

Torsten

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi TorstenR,

I regret for the inconvenience. According to my upper managers, Intel is still developing this feature on these NUC kit models.

Mike C

0 Kudos
iivan23
Beginner

Our college wanted to buy computers

based Intel Celeron 3150 in the amount of 32 pieces of work in the classroom and to show documentary films, but due to lack of HD sound we will not buy them.

Now HD sound is the norm in the processors.

Too bad that Intel does not develop and rostet.

We better buy real cheap AMD processors.

And other colleges will advise processors AMD
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I regret for the inconvenience with the lack of high bit-rate HD Audio on N3150/N3700 NUCs. Intel is still working on this Windows driver limitation.

Mike C

0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

Personally I don't see why this is taking so long. This stuff "accidentally" worked flawlessly with older drivers for the i5 nucs, DisplayAudio v. 6.16.00.3154 (manual install on celeron nucs) - and I believe this is why Intel pulled those drivers once the word got around. Surely Intel is fully capable of looking at their own source and see what they put in there, and what they removed for the next driver version? My gut says Hardware_ID decides wether or not the fearture is 1 or 0 (enabled / disabled).

0 Kudos
iivan23
Beginner

please tell me how to install the driver DisplayAudio v. 6.16.00.3154

on Windows 10-64 Processor n3150 to make HD sound ?

THANK YOU

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

According to our manager, Intel is still working on the new driver capable to support high bitrates. The driver that you are mentioning is not supported by this family of NUCs.

Mike C

0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

Ivan,

Yes, unfortunately mikec_intel here is right. The "trick" with force-install of DisplayAudio v. 6.16.00.3154 drivers doesn't work with the NuC(s) in topic, or newer generations. And that driver is old, pre-windows 10 - so there were (afaik) no windows 10 version of it. I believe it has been fairly well covered in other topics, but we might as well get it here in writing for future community reference.

We're just going to have to pin our (slim and fading) hopes on a driver update. Even a no-guarantees, no WHQL certification, completely unsigned beta driver would suffice. H*ll, if by some means we could aquire the source for the DisplayAudio v. 6.16.00.3154 drivers I'm fairly certain community devs could work something out.
0 Kudos
SEvan2
Beginner

Hi all,

so has anyone tried this with Openelec? Can you get HD audio passthrough running Openelec not windows?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

With Openelec? Absolutely. There might be some development builds with bugs, but in general, ALL Intel Display Audio has had HD (HBR) audio passthrough working since ~2012 - under LInux. Intel botched the channel mapping of HBR audio in their drivers, an (former) Intel employee fixed that. It was made part of linux core in 2013.