Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

NUC 8i7BEH - USB Ports Not Working

Dave2020
Beginner

No USB connectivity. After a search here I tried the BIOS Recovery method using a USB stick (BIOS Recovery using the Security Jumper). That went through all the necessary steps. I didn't get any errors but still no USB access. Without mouse or keyboard use I am severely limited as to what I can do.

Anyone have any ideas what I can try?

If there was someway to reinstall the drivers that might work but (again) I have no mouse or keyboard access.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dave-

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

It is not clear to me what you mean by saying "USB Ports Not Working" ? If you successfully performed BIOS recovery using USB stick, that means that USB port has connectivity.  Could be there is a problem with your  Keyboard + Mouse? How is your keyboard connected? Are you using some kind of HUB, wireless receiver or on board Bluetooth?

Leon

0 Kudos
Dave2020
Beginner

Hi Leon, thanks for the reply.

Keyboard and mouse both connect to USB ports using a Logictech Xmitter. They're not "talking" to the NUC.  No USB device is. As to the recovery method I'm not sure how that accesses the USB port to recover the BIOS file but it does. See the steps to follow here:

BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/intel-nuc.html

There must be a way that the NUC looks at the USB ports during startup and they're working at that time. I'd like to look at / update the drivers once Windows 10 starts but with no mouse or keyboard I can't. No USB device works once Windows is running.

I tried to login to the NUC over my home network and control it that way but Remote Network on the NUC isn't allowed. There must be a backdoor I can sneak into but my searches haven't found one yet.

Dave-

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
0 Kudos
Dave2020
Beginner
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Dave2020 

1. Could be that the problem is in your keyboard + mouse+ unified receiver setup? Was it working before? Can you test it in other computer?
  2. Can you connect other keyboard to your NUC?
  3. While you are booted into Windows, please insert the USB stick, you have used for BIOS recovery, into USB port. Please check if you can see this USB in File Explorer.

Leon

0 Kudos
Dave2020
Beginner

The issue is with my wife's NUC. I tested things on my NUC. The hardware works on my NUC.

Have no way to connect another KB/mouse to "broken" NUC or I could probably fix it.

Did BIOS recovery. Got no love.

I took it into a local computer repair shop. I'll report back what they find.

Thanks for replies.

Stiil stomped as how to connect a KB/mouse to this beast when USB not working and all I have is USB driven hardware.

Dave-

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Dave,

Still it not clear to me if the USB is not working during POST, after booting into Windows or in both modes? It may depend on settings in BIOS. It is interesting  what in the computer store will find. 

BTW you may use Bluetooth keyboard + mouse if you can't use USB. The problem with the Bluetooth connection is that it is not working during POST and while in BIOS. So, you are right, I guess, without functioning USB port it is difficult (or impossible) to change BIOS settings.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Did Fast Boot by chance get turned on in BIOS Setup?
...S
0 Kudos
Dave2020
Beginner

I almost for got to reply with an update.

I took the NUC into my local repair shop.

They ran diagnostics. Found no issues.

After that they installed a Win 10 update which was pending.

Problem was solved.

I knew it was a simple fix but I couldn't access the NUC with my USB kb/mouse.

As to me using a Bluetooth kb/mouse that would have done me no good since Bluetooth on the NUC wasn't turned on. They never explained how they accessed the NUC w/o working USB or Bluetooth.

Thanks for the suggestions here.

Best regards,

Dave-

0 Kudos