Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Need help upgrading an e7500 cpu...

Charlespersinger
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex 780. The specs, according to CPU-Z are in attached file. 

I would like to increase my fps and such when running emulators. I have worked with overclocking my gpu, much as possible anyway, and have greatly improved the functionality of psx emulator but not much luck with pcsx2.

My issue is that I cannot seem to find any definitive information on which cpu would be a suitable replacement the e7500 in my machine. I have checked several sites and compared multiple possibilities but seem to always run into discrepancies between one source to another. I know this has a lot to with the fact that it is outdated and discontinued. Regardless it is still worth it to me to upgrade for my purposes.

Thank you for any help that can be given.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Only dell can tell you which processors are supported by their bios.  Ask dell, then select from those processors that are supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have a Core 2 Duo processor. The upgrade you want is to a Core 2 Quad. These are only available used. The processors supported by your machine are detailed here: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Q45_Express.html.

The Q9650 is the top processor that is supported by your system. Amazon has some for US$100. I also see a Q9550 for US$60.

Hope this helps,

....S

0 Kudos