Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Need help with upgrading my older desktop

AGran24
Beginner

I have a HP Compaq Dc5800 Small Form Factor PC that has already been upgraded to a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 what I'm wondering can I upgrade to this one it's better and faster by what I see Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 I know both are Yorkfield CPU's and both came out at the same time. I seen a post on a HP site where they say this computer will support up to Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 but that CPU came out after my BIOS I got installed and I don't want to risk doing a BIOS update when the last supported BIOS updating software is for Windows 7 and I have Windows 10 installed. I can't afford a new computer and I need to get my desktop upgraded before my 7 year old HP laptop dies

I'm only asking because the supported CPU's list on the HP site don't show much and since I know the chipset supports both CPU's does that mean it will work?

The motherboard chipset is Intel q33 express chipset BIOS date is March 2008

System specs:

Windows 10

8GB ram

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

500GB Samsung SSD

MSI GeForce 210 (just ordered online)

D-Link DWA-582 AC1200 wireless card

ASUS DVD burner

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You will need to ask HP what processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those.

An upgrade processor must be chipset, socket, AND BIOS compatible.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, regarding the Q33 express chipset, you will be using the Microsoft Generic graphics driver, which is the best you can do.

Doc

0 Kudos
AGran24
Beginner

This is why i have ordered a new GPU the onboard don't like running my 40 inch TV so I'm forced to use my laptop it's a Probook6465b with a AMD A8 quad core but it seems to be having motherboard problems causing it to run slow and need to reinstall Windows 10 a lot I already asked this same question on HP's Support Community page and not one response it seems like they don't care about older computers but not everyone can afford new computers that's why I'm still running this old laptop.. I have already ordered this CPU I'm worried I may have wasted my money

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You will probably never get a response from HP. However, they are the only ones who can tell you what processors are compatible with their bios.

You will not see that much of an improvement in processor powere, even if the q9550 is compatible.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=33924,33922

You are taking a pretty good risk, having already ordered the processor and graphics card, without knowing if they are compatible. And, with the processor, you risk damage to the motherboard or processor, or both. And, I am very doubtful that your graphics card will be compatible.

Rather than attempt an upgrade on this old hardware, your best effort would be a new(er) computer that is supported by Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
AGran24
Beginner

I just installed the MSI GeForce 210 GPU and it works just fine with no problems for the last 4 hours.

0 Kudos