Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

New 12900K build, getting thousands of WHEA 17 errors a minute

bigpcboy
Novice

I have a 12900k, Gigabyte Z690I DDR4,  GSkill 2x16GB DDR4 3600 , EVGA 3080 XC3, Samsung 980 Pro, Windows 11.

I get thousands of WHEA errors a minute for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02 with my computer sitting idle. The rate increases if I begin to stress graphics. If I set the PCIe manually to gen 3 in the BIOS the errors stop completely. 

I haven't had much luck troubleshooting this with Gigabyte. I see several others with similar configurations on Z690 boards across manufacturers with this issue, so doesn't seem to be board specific, other than Z690 with a PCIe gen 4 video card. 

Any pointers? 

23 Replies
Grendel602
Novice

I get the same errors and believe it is a chipset driver issue for Z690 and Alder Lake.  Fresh WIN 11 install, updated bios for ASUS Z690-A Gaming WIFI MOBO, 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090 GPU, Samsung 970 PLUS as Boot Drive in M.1 slot, and a Samsung 970 PLUS in 2nd M.1 slot.

Others experiencing the same thing.  Only solution so far is putting GPU in 2nd PCI slot running at GEN 3 speeds (kinda beats the point of having a GEN 4 card).  At this point I'm guessing this devolves into finger pointing between Intel and Motherboard manufacturers in regards to whose drivers are broke for this....insert Spiderman meme.

Someone with a similar issue here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/WHEA-LOGGER-ID17-help/m-p/1328866#M54659

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/r35jsw/rog_strix_z690a_gaming_wifi_whea_17_error/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/r0wa1o/z690i_aorus_ultra_ddr4_pcie_whea_errors/

I’ve tried the following:

- disabling PCI-E link power state management seems to reduce the amount of WHEA's, but it still crashes under heavy load

- Next, I removed the GPU and ran the system off of the iGPU. No crashes, no WHEA's, running prime95 and cinebench without any freezing whatsoever.

- Next, I set the top PCIE slot at gen 3 in bios – same issue persists.

- Finally, plugging the GPU in the lower PCI-E slot works fine without issues. But now my ASUS 3090 TUF OC is running at PCIE 3 and lower bandwidth – this is a bandaid and not a fix.

Problem seems isolated to the top PCI-E slot. I tried reseating the card and still had the issue.  Problem persists using a riser cable or direct plug in.  Also, problem exists for many different people.

When I swap all components back to my backup computer (Z390 Gigabyte Designare, 9900K CPU) I have zero issues and full performance.

Event Viewer shows the following details

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x0

Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0

Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_460D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

Secondary Device Name:

gcassie
Novice

ISSUE REOLVED!

ISSUE REOLVED! - Error Occur Events: WHEA Logger 17 Errors when GPU (NVIDIA GeoForce RTX 3080) connected to connected to PCIEX16.

I followed up with GIGABYTE Support (Email-ID: 1439277)

The cause of the issue was related to the PCIE Gen 4.0 riser cable. The issue was resolved by mounting my graphics card horizontally, direct to the PCIEX16 slot, and not using the PCIE riser cable.

Note: The likely cause of the significant WHEA Logger 17 Errors and PC instability, is likely due to electromagnetic interference.

BIOS Selection, with no: WHEA Logger 17 Errors

CPU PCIe Link Speed: Auto

PCH PCIe Link Speed: Auto

CPU, RAM & GPU Stress Test, completed with no error.

Thanks for your support!

New 12900K build, getting thousands of WHEA-Logger (Event ID: 17) errors a minute - Intel Communities

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello bigpcboy, I just wanted to check if the information posted by Grendel602 was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Grendel602
Novice

Alberto, what I posted wasn't a fix, it was a bandaid.  Putting the PCIE slot into GEN 3 is a temp fix, it should be running at GEN 4.  Lots of people running different MOBO's (ASUS/Gigabyte) are running into this PEG 10 460D issue that produces WHEA 17 errors.  

The only way people have stopped the errors is by putting their GPU's into GEN 3 mode in BIOs or some have been able to disable ASPM in BIOS and link state power management. Only going to GEN 3 works for me....or disabling native state power management in BIOS (but that produces artifacting and lower GPU performance.  A lot of people are getting crashes as the errors build up over time.

More people with the exact same issue posting here:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/of...794802/page-32

The only two devices tied to my PEG 10 460D is NVIDIA HD Audio and the RTX 3090 itself....some people have their NVMe tied to that, but this is clearly not a device issue more so a PCIE Bus issue.

I am currently, on fresh WIN 11 install with new 980 PRO NVME drive with all current ASUS drivers, mobo bios, and windows updates.  I still get the errors but it has stopped crashing immediately, but time will tell.

INTEL - Why does disabling PCIE Native Power Management stop the WHEA errors but result in instability, lower GPU performance and artifacting?  Also, if leaving Native Power Managment enabled why does going to GEN 3 on the PCIE lane stop the errors?

0 Kudos
bigpcboy
Novice

AS Grendel602 said, that was not a solution. This problem still exists for me.

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Grendel602, Thank you very much for clarifying those details.

bigpcboy, Thank you very much for confirming that information. 

bigpcboy, in order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this topic, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Did you build it?

When did you purchase the Intel® processor?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

By any chance, did you try the suggestions provided in the following link?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028099/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello bigpcboy, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello bigpcboy, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Grendel602
Novice
ASUS stated that the WHEA 17 error was duplicated by their support team and they are supposedly working with Intel on a fix.
0 Kudos
TimberWolf1
Beginner

I have this exact issue, with a Gigabyte Z690i Ultra DDR4 motherboard, 12700KF cpu, and MSI 3090 gpu. One thing I've noticed is that the people having this issue all run nvidia 3000 series video cards. I don't know if AMD gpus aren't affected, or that they are just more rare. Again, the only way to stop the errors is to switch the pcie slot to gen3, which is a band-aid, not a solution. Hopefully if a solution is found, it can be spread to all the motherboard manufacturers.

0 Kudos
1_rick
Beginner

I have this issue as well, starting a couple of days ago.  Same motherboard as TimberWolf1, 12600K CPU, Windows 11.  Power supply is a less-than-one-year-old Corsair RM750, which is bigger than what the video card requires).  There is a single Samsung 970 EVO SSD in the CPU M.2 slot. It's been working fine since I built the system in the middle of December.  Friday I replaced the GTX 1070 I originally had there with a new Gigabyte RX 6800 (so here's one "not nVidia" case) and moved the computer to a different room.  (It was treated gently, not dropped, etc.)  Late Monday or early yesterday I noticed that it wasn't waking up from sleep, and Tuesday evening I looked at event viewer and saw tens of thousands of WHEA 17 events, with the primary device name of PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_460D&SUBSYS_50001458&REV_02.  It seems like it only happens when gaming.

So far I have gone out to the Gigabyte website and applied every driver and BIOS update for the motherboard, gone to AMD's website and gotten the latest drivers, installed the Intell support assistant and let it do driver updates, and then ran Windows Update a few times.  I also went into the BIOS and did "load optimized defaults".  The only change I made in the BIOS other than that was to enable XMP so my RAM (2x16 G.Skill DDR4-3000) would run at rated speed.

I plan on removing and re-seating the CPU and video card today to see if that does anything.  I may try dropping the 1070 back in to see what happens--the system wasn't crashing when it was in there, but that's not a tenable solution given how much the new card cost.

seeinghighdog
Beginner

I also have the Z690I Aorus Ultra DDR4,12600K CPU, and Windows 11.  My GPU is a RTX 2070 Super.  I got that same device error for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_460D&SUBSYS_50001458&REV_02.  I don't get the error while gaming specifically.  What happened about half an hour ago was my PC completely froze for about 10 seconds, then reset itself while I was using Google Chrome.  My error log shows 12,441 WHEA-Logger errors occurred during the 4 minutes prior to the PC crashing. 

I had been gaming for a few hours prior without issue.  Everything is up to date and I changed my PCI-E settings to Gen 3 in BIOS, but I still get these crashes and errors.  I've reached out to Gigabyte support but they have been unhelpful so far.

bobbysixjp
Beginner

I'm having major problems with my Gigabyte Z690 UD and 12600K. Firstly it was my USB devices randomly disconnecting and now the audio is crackling and I'm getting stutters during gaming. I checked with Latency Mon and am getting high latency when this issue happens. 

psmolkin
Beginner

Same issue on Gigabyte z690i ULTRA DDR4 + 12700kf + Asus TUF 3080 v2. 
Why is no one acknowledging this problem? Judging by the numerous of posts on Reddit, this problem has affected every owner of this motherboard. 

0 Kudos
Chris747
Beginner

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 with 12700K and 3080, same issues, WHEA 1 and WHEA 17 errors.

By the way, in case this helps anyone:

In the BIOS with all settings under Platform Misc Configuration disabled I get no WHEA 1 or 17 errors, ie. disable all ASPM settings.

The culprit (but not concrete or limited to, just from little testing) seems to be "PEG - ASPM" for the WHEA 17 errors, massive instability and BSOD / hard crash.

"PCI Express Clock Gating" seems to cause the random WHEA 1 errors but only sometimes.

Apart from that I have a bunch of other errors for other hardware especially my I225-V ethernet (log is full of Event ID 32 from source e2fexpress errors regardless of which driver I use).

Not too happy with this system, was an expensive upgrade only to have an unstable hot mess, was previously on an Asus Maximus Hero and i7-4790K with the same 3080 GPU and it was rock solid.

0 Kudos
SooksVI
Beginner
I've been having a similar issue with my system freezing, however it doesn't freeze under load.

My system uses an MSI Pro Z690 -A DDR4 Wifi, i9 12900KF, RTX 3090, 64GB GSKILL RIPJAW DDR4 3600 CL18.

If I'm doing a render, or any benchmark it runs fine, but if I'm doing a light task where the system isn't being stressed it freezes up. No BSOD, just frozen. Event viewer mentions a hardware failure, but no information beyond that .

I've tried different RAM, a different GPU, different storage with the same results. I've tried BIOS defaults, even disabling power saving features. I can only assume it's the board. I've ordered a higher end board and a replacement CPU to do further troubleshooting, but does anyone have any idea what it could be? Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
1_rick
Beginner

It seems to be the motherboard, even though it's happening across multiple board makers.  On my Gigabyte Aorus Z690-I ultra ddr4, manually setting the GPU PCIe slot to 3.0 makes all the errors go away, and over on the Gigabyte Reddit forum, someone who appears to be a Gigabyte employee says they're planning on replacing affected boards, but they're not ready yet.

0 Kudos
SooksVI
Beginner

I tried that and had no luck. What's weird is the system will be fine under a constant load like furmark or prime95, but intermittent loads like After Effects will eventually lead to freezing. I think it's definitely the board and it's not regulating power properly. My system is a Cyberpower PC and It's funny that they have a small sticker in the back that states "not fully tested".

nykfist
Beginner

Just to record that I'm having exactly the same error codes as the OP.    My issue stops when I disconnect my RTX 2060.   I'm using an i5-12600k on an Asus B660-i board, Win11 loaded on a Samsung 980 NVMe. 

0 Kudos
gcassie
Novice

Issue Raised with Gigabyte Support

Gigabyte Support Issue ID: 1437

New 12900K build, getting thousands of WHEA-Logger (Event ID: 17) errors a minute

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Event Viewer shows the following details:

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x0

Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0

Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_460D&SUBSYS_50001458&REV_02

Secondary Device Name:

From the Windows Device Manager:

System devices->Intel® PEG10 – 460D

Manufacturer: INTEL

Device Status: This device is working properly.

Driver: 10.1.45.9

Hardware id: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_460D&SUBSYS_50001458&REV_02

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z690 UD DDR4

BIOS Version: F22

Date: 12/7/2022

MOTHERBOARD

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model: Z690 UD DDR4

Version: R.1

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)

Version (Build): 22H2 (10.0.22621)

Devices and Drivers

PROCESSOR: 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-12900K

Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

Description: Intel64 Family 6 Model 151 Stepping 2

Architecture: x64

# of Cores: 16

# of Threads: 24

Processor Base Frequency: 3200 MHz

Current Voltage: 1.6

Level 2 Cache: 4096 Kb

Level 3 Cache: 30720 Kb

Processor Id: 0x90672

Availability: Running at full power

GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

Intel® UHD Graphics 770

AUDIO: NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Logitech G560 Gaming Speaker

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Realtek High Definition Audio

NETWORKING AND I/O: Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller

TAP-Surfshark Windows Adapter V9

MEMORY: 96 GB

STORAGE: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB

OTHER: Intel® Management Engine Interface #1

Ref: New 12900K build, getting thousands of WHEA 17 errors a minute - Intel Communities

Others experiencing the same thing.  Only solution so far is putting GPU in 2nd PCI slot running at GEN 3 speeds (kinda beats the point of having a GEN 4 card). 

Someone with a similar issue here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/WHEA-LOGGER-ID17-help/m-p/1328866#M54659

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/r35jsw/rog_strix_z690a_gaming_wifi_whea_17_error/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/r0wa1o/z690i_aorus_ultra_ddr4_pcie_whea_errors/

BIOS Updated

Drivers all updated

Windows 11 OS Updated

This issue is causing poor performance and crashes.

The motherboard, CPU, memory and SSD are brand new

Please advise appears to be a Manufacturer: Gigabyte Motherboard Model: Z690 UD DDR4 issue for many people?

Judging by the numerous of posts on Reddit, this problem has affected every owner of this motherboard. 

It seems to be the motherboard, even though it's happening across multiple board makers.  On my Gigabyte Aorus Z690-I ultra ddr4, manually setting the GPU PCIe slot to 3.0 makes all the errors go away, and over on the Gigabyte Reddit forum, someone who appears to be a Gigabyte employee says they're planning on replacing affected boards, but they're not ready yet.

Is there a fix or will my Gigabyte Motherboard Model: Z690 UD DDR4 be replaced under warranty?

Or will INTEL / Gigabyte Update the Drivers?

Gigabyte Response: It seem to be hardware issue. Please clear CMOS to see if it help?

Change another CPU to your motherboard / Change CPU 12900k to another motherbaord to check the issue if user has.

If only occur the issue on this board with CPU 12900k, please contact your local purchase dealer for RMA warranty.

The technician can help you to fix the hardware issue directly.

Notice: The warranty terms are dependent on your sale of contract and are what ever your supplier sold you.

Please contact your supplier and they shall follow a standard RMA procedure and send the board to the local service center for RMA service for you.

Thank you

Your GIGABYTE team

Note: I have cleared the CMOS and the issue remains

0 Kudos