Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

New 8th Gen Pentium and Celeron Processors

MTerr1
Novice

The latest 8th Gen Pentium and Celeron processors are starting to hit the online retailers....are these processors compatible with the new Series 300 motherboards? If so, are they only compatible with the Series 300?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VGema
Novice

yes they are compatible with 300 series(z370 chipset), i am not sure but looks like the coffe lake(8th gen processors) are only compatible with 300 series, unless your upgrade you bios to get coffe lake support if you're using a 7th(kaby lake) motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MikeTango,

Thank you for contacting us, I understand that you want to know the compatibly for the latest 8th Gen Pentium and Celeron Processors.

In this specific case, since the CPU's previously mentioned are not launched, we do not have any information regarding its availability or compatibility.

The 8th gen processors that are fully launched at the moment are listed in our Core "I" family and are compatible with Intel® 300 Series as you may know.

My apologies since the information is not handy just yet so we cannot provide an ETA regarding this matter

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
MTerr1
Novice

Well, apparently there is a failure to communicate here. For several days, at least 4 or 5 online retailers have listed (as in stock), and selling the new Gold Pentiums (Coffee Lake) and the new Coffee Lake Celerons....as in Celeron G4900 and others. I say they have them listed, in stock and are selling them, but they are doing so with little or no info, (Newegg is listing only the this for the G4900....." Intel BX80684G4900 Desktop Processor" .....no additional info whatsoever. Retailers are selling them, people are buying them, but Intel has no information....well, thats just great!

ps: yes, I am fully aware of the specifications and compatibility of the "Core" Coffee Lake processors (I3, I5, I7), my question is specific to the new Coffee Lake Pentiums and Celerons, (before I buy a Coffee Lake Pentium or Celeron, I need to know if they are compatible with only the 300 Series motherboards, just like the "Core" processors.

Thanks your for comment.

0 Kudos
MTerr1
Novice

Sorry....but you cannot upgrade a 1151 motherboard to a 1151 Series 300 motherboard, there is no upgrade, BIOS or otherwise, that I know of that can make Coffee Lake processors compatible with anything related to Kaby Lake or any other Series of processor......the 8th Gen Coffee Lake I-Core processors are only compatible with the 1151 Series 300 motherboards.....period.

MTerr1
Novice

Retailers are now posting specifications and compatability for the new Coffee Lake Pentium and Celerons, looks like they are restricted/compatible with only the 1151 300 Series motherboards, just like the Coffee Lake I-Cores, at least thats what they are posting for the G4900 and G5500.

0 Kudos