Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

New gamer processor

rjohn22
Beginner

I was thinking since 4 cores work best for games and intel has no more options was to group cores so we can utilize the bigger chips in our PC's, I really want a server with dual processors style like 2x Gold 6154 ~

So I end up with 36 cores and 72 threads. I want through the motherboard or processor for the cores to group up in 4's so there in a parallel like these guys and there 9 groups of 4 So there is another 8 groups of these 4 behind them, For instance in Cinebench, the first 4 tackle the first frame so there is 9 frames being worked at any given time rather than 36 frames being worked on like it is now of individual cores, so basically each Quad core is consisting of 4 individual cores and it has a multiplier of 9.

The work load is with your GHz and the ram is the speed at which the 9 groups of 4 operate at ~ or some sort of applied math. Not sure in this instance if that is how one would apply GHz and MHz, it's to increase the applied framerates being tackled.

Now when I'm not gaming they could go back to series again and it would be a server again.

That's the beauty of not knowing how any of it's suppose to work! but rather looking at it from a new concept, than the threads could be like the nails and lumber they use to build, that these 4 carry18 2x4's but they use1 for each induvial core each time, the extra 2 would be the lead and lag between the first guy and the last guy in the group of 4 as your going to have weak and strong in the group naturally faster or slower etc.. So the group of 4 are working as a team on each frame.

That's my ideal idea of a new processor ~ because I want to upgrade my PC! Right now it's like Meh for the performance gain currently present, I don't need to upgrade there no beneficial in spending any money really I'm only using 4 cores with 16 gigs of ram and a decent video card but if I was getting some kick ass frame rates least I could play alphas that require some optimization in polish, it would make the game easy to build for deve's as well.

It gives me something to do while I wait for Alphas

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You may find this tool useful:

https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors&CoreCountMin=1&CoreCountMax=72 Intel® Product Specification Advanced Search

Doc

0 Kudos
rjohn22
Beginner

What kind of gaming rig do you have Al? just wondering what your using for gaming and what type of games do you play?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not a gamer. I do play poker now and then, but I am not very good.

My hardware is pretty much normal/standard stuff.

Doc

0 Kudos
rjohn22
Beginner

Not sure if you can see this, but I have currently an i7 6700 generation 6 ~it's a 4 core and for todays gaming it is at it's peek development ~ this an old processor by industry standards my son gave me this computer after he upgraded his, but he bought the same generation 6 i7 6700 again as there was nothing worthwhile to upgrade too. For him it was just newer model of the same car.

I think he got a newer video card as an up grade, new case and mother board hard drive but the same model for processor. Now if I want to upgrade there is not much to really pick from either looks like the next 5 years I will still be using the same processor. I could go with a i8 6 core which will only improve 4-8 frames on about 12 different games as it has just a slight bit more memory, Now I could spend 2k on and extreme i9 18 core and 36 thread and the game might see a 3% gain over what I have currently what I have is 4 years old? This chip is only $300 why would I spend $1700 for 3% or maybe less

I can spend $10,000 on an Xeon 8180 processor that's 28 cores and 56 threads or a dual sever set up $20,000 + $12,000 on 12 sticks of 64 gig of ram 786 Gigs for 56 cores and 112 threads and still the $300. i7 generation 6 - from years ago will still perform better at gaming, than a $32,000 for a top of the line server. It wont run a modern new title game any better and it's 14x more powerful and than some from the ram lol.

What innovation is coming from Intel I just give my processor and video card a slight over clock and presto I beat there new one, cause all there doing is overclocking a pinch more than asking $1700 more for 3% Cause 4 cores is there max for gaming?

What are they innovating for the last 5 years .We have extreme chips, gold chips, platinum chips.

I recall when IBM made the Pentium ~ performed a sort of funky math that worked. lol

were back to the 386 models with pins same pattern of a problem - history is repeating it's self.

Your an IT guy a professional you tell me,

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I think you have too much disposable income

Seriously, I am certain there is a processor roadmap, but I am just a volunteer and not part of that inner circle. So, as Sgt Schultz says - "I know nothing".

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Making a significant improvement in your processor performance and making a significant improvement in gaming performance are two different animals. Games these days are, in most cases, either graphics-bound or network-bound. Overcoming the graphics-bounding is a matter of upgrading the graphics card. Improving the processor performance (at least from where you presently are) will rarely make a significant difference.

Intel Customer Support is not permitted to discuss future products, especially not from a scheduling standpoint. You are really not going to be able to get many insights into the roadmap here (you'd do better elsewhere regardless).

...S

0 Kudos
rjohn22
Beginner

That's ok I started to get a feeling that I've seen this scenario before with the 386 back when adding more pins did not change anything, they realized this and openly addressed it back than as a concern, i'm not here to peek at their scheduling of future production reports.

They don't have any as they ran out of overclocking there chips at the point, overclocking a 6 core will squeeze a bit more, like the special edition 8086k of finding wonky processors where one core is higher at 4.0 GHz the special chip is really just a coffee processor 8700k

with a one spun core of of the 6 of coarse were going to find out, bench tested! Plus AMD biting at their ankles!

People eventually going to jump all over this!, left too long and not addressed brings out torches and pitchforks. It's a mathematical curve, eventually it reaches peek, The objective is being innovative and coming up with solutions in trying to find a paradigm that takes it too the next level, back in the day of the pentium 4 megs of ram was the start of the chip followed by 8 megs ect.. and games are now sort of title locked were just 16 gigs is plenty to operate the games, above this is a waste really, now with game developers being able to utilize the Nvidia Titan V break through in graphics and much higher information grouping of build better life like realites and what there going to produce we as gamers won't be able to run it, it's too much load just on 4 cores, yes they have much higher core counts but it stops after 5 really for gaming great for desktops and servers were loads is great.

Definitely needs another math! Since 4 is the magic gaming math now you have to make groups of four make them bigger or smaller, something that fits the paradigm, perhaps a hole in the middle or a planetary design or a bucky ball etc. The perspective has to change just like there doing for the servers is actually condensing large chunks of data so more information can pass through and with no errors.Same for cloud splicing or server meshing that will work for some time but eventually it will fill back up again and gets bigger naturally.

Star Citizen is pushing the boundaries and also has to be innovative and business will try and fill these new demands, size wise it's going to run and than the demand load will be there, You need to upgrade your gaming rig, but we can't, the cores are holding us back in there current configuration.

0 Kudos
aJago3
Beginner

You can run any game with i7+

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@aJago3​ So, you answer two year threads with a nonsense answer? i7 what gen? Let us see you run any game with an i7 1st gen processor.

Doc

0 Kudos