Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

New i7-10700F CPU fan and temp ramping up when idle

alex_ncfc
Beginner
I've just put together a new machine with an MSI Z490 Gaming board and an i7 10700F CPU, but I'm a bit concerned.

I've installed Windows on a brand new 1TB m.2 SSD and it all seems OK until (I think - I may be wrong) I install Windows Updates, many of which are non-descript Intel drivers (no idea which, one literally says nothing more than "Intel - System - 9/19/2017 - 12AM - 11.7.0.1000" for example, the others are similar) and then the CPU fan and temperatures start ramping up massively. It seems to head towards 80 degrees C and the fan is so loud, and also when I look in Task Manager whilst this is going ok, the clock speed of the CPU is around 4.5Ghz, but the rated speed is 2.9Ghz (is this Turbo Boost?)

What could be wrong here? I'm a bit nervous about it truth be told, as my previous i5 4440, which also used the stock Intel cooler and fan, used to idle in the 30s, but this seems to randomly shoot upto 70+ degrees even when I'm not doing anything at all! All whilst clocking in at over 4Ghz when idle.

Do you think it could be one of those Windows Updates triggering something? I've installed the Intel chip set drivers from MSI yet Windows Update still finds and installs these random Intel updates with no description, and they are not optional.

My i5 based board and CPU ran so quietly. It'd be nice if this new build would do the same.

Thanks for any input.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @alex_ncfc

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- We understand that you are using the stock cooler fan that came with the Intel® Core™ i7-10700F Processor. Is this correct?

2- Is there any sign of physical damage on the processor?

3- Was the processor purchased less than 30 days ago?

4- Do you have the default settings set in the BIOS as recommended by the motherboard manufacturer?

5- How are you monitoring the Fan behavior/speed and the CPU temperatures? Please provide details. Feel free to share also screenshots.

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Note:

Regarding your inquiry about the clock speed in Task Manager, the Max turbo frequency for the Intel® Core™ i7-10700F Processor is 4.80GHz. Intel Turbo Boost Technology is enabled by default, and once enabled, it works automatically under operating system control so it is normal to see in Task Manager the CPU reaching clock speeds higher than the "Processor Base Frequency 2.90 GHz" depending upon workload, environment, and platform design.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello alex_ncfc

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello alex_ncfc

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos