Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

New i9-11900K and Overclocking?

Rick127
Beginner

Received a few days ago my Motherboard Bundle i9-11900K, ROG Maximus XIII Hero, 32GB Corsair Ram, Corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler.   Already have a RTX3090 GPU. This is an upgrade from a i7-6700K.  The PC supplier overclocked the CPU far too extreme, as there was hot air pushing out of the case!  I reset the clocking in the Bios to AUTO, and ran much cooler. The PC supplier helped readjust the OC, to 5MHz (5115MHz}.  Ratio- Sync All Cores,  Limit- 50,  DRam Freq DDR4-3000Mhz,  Voltage Manual, Override to 1.370, DRam Voltage 1.35000.   Although the system still runs fairly cool, I think the OC is too extreme, and have reset to AUTO again. The reason for doing this is because I play Microsoft Flightsim 2020, and the sim does not like the OC and crashes.  And besides the Sim only utilises a single core.  Many on the FS2020 forum have said 'why the need to even OC this CPU?' I have no idea?  Many have suggested using the Intel Adaptive Boost Technology, as a much better alternative.  Where do I get this Intel App, and does it automatically adjust the Bios OC?   

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Rick127,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate that you contact us regarding this inquiry.

Please bear in mind that we do not support the use of overclocking, since running the processor at frequencies higher than the ones we recommend on our website can end up damaging the component or in the best case scenario reducing its life, besides voiding your warranty.

In regards to the Adaptive Boost Technology or ABT this one is actually not a tool, it’s a new feature on the i9 11th gen processors(K and KF) that allow the processor under the right environment (Power, temperatures) to push its capabilities up to the maximum frequency value we have on the processor’s specifications website (Up to 5.30 GHz).

This technology improves the performance by opportunistically allowing higher multi-core frequencies in systems equipped with enhanced power delivery and cooling solutions, allowing additional multi-core frequency while still being within the specification and temperature limits.

Like past intel turbo boost technologies, this technology will be within spec operation and is not considered overclocking.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
B1900Mech
Beginner
Hi Victor, Is there a tutorial on using Adaptive Boost Technology? Here are my specs,
Corsair iCUE 4000X Computer Case
EVGA SuperNOVA G2,1300 Watt Power Supply
MSI Z590 MPG Gaming Carbon WiFi Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard
i9-11900K
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm RGB Water Cooling Kit
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
HyperX Predator 64GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
WD Black 1TB (WDS100T3X0C) M.2 NVMe
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Illuminated Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Thanks Jim
0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Rick127,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Rick127,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Victor G. 

0 Kudos