Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

New processor high temp?

Dakneey
Beginner

I've recently just bought a new build and I purchased the i9 9900kf with a h100i corsair water cooler. I'm 100% I've installed the cooler correctly as I watched several videos and read the manual before doing so. However my i9 9900kf is sitting at 30-35 when idle which I believe is average, then when I launch a game for example Fortnite, on low settings it jumps to 75-80 degrees, do new processors need undervolting or is there something I'm missing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You will not be able to undervolt, so that is not an option.

Usually, this is caused by the cooler, or the system needing a bios update.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are three possibilities,

• Thermal head is not properly mounted on processor or TIM is insufficient or improperly applied.
  • Pump and fan are not connected to motherboard properly so they can react to temperature change.
  • Fan Speed Control capability in motherboard is incorrectly configured and not properly reacting to temperature change.
    Hope this helps,
    ...S
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Conned? I think not. The motherboard's BIOS is responsible for configuring the response to processor temperature rise. You need to modify the fan speed control configuration in the BIOS so that the processor fan response is more aggressive (i.e. increase fan speed at a faster rate and/or increase fan speed starting at a lower temperature).

...S

0 Kudos
Grisemine
Beginner

Yes my friend, conned. My configuration is new, in a big well cooled tower. And I made some search before coming here asking for an explaination. What I found is exactly what appens to me : CPU hitting 85°C in few seconds every time a core hits 50%. Not even talking about the sound it makes then.

I payed quite alot for this powerful processor, and the cooler is ridiculous. How you call it ? Who can I complain to if not here ?

I wil buy and install a better cooler soon. But it is not "ok" to ship this ridiculous piece of crap as a cooler for a high end CPU.

Let me state it again : IT IS NOT OK.

(ps : do I need to post the links to the many reviews, where for instance, at 100% CPU the processor hits... 105°C before throtling down...) ?

pps : yes, i'm pissed of. I DO feel conned.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello @Grisemine,                      

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

We appreciate your feedback, please let's continue with the thread you opened here since every system is different and should be handled separately for more accurate results.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello @Dakneey,

Were you able to check the recommendations provided in the thread?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello @Dakneey,

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos