Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

New "old" Intel cooler

RKnez
Beginner

Hello.

I plan to replace Haswell Pentium CPU with Xeon E3-1230 V3. So I found cheap genuine Intel cooler with copper core, that should be fine for Xeon. Cooler is "new", never used, but it is few years old. It have factory thermal compound on it. Is it still good to use or is it better to replace it with the fresh thermal paste? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RKnez
Beginner

It is Intel I7 4790K (88W tdp) cooler, so it is surely made for 90W. Xeon E3-1230 V3 is 80W tdp and since workstation is for graphic design it will be on low load or idle most of time so it must be sufficient. The seller claims that the coolers are not very old and that the thermal paste is fine, so I'll try to use it the way it is.

Thank you :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Most of the Intel boxed-processor coolers are designed to support 65W Core processor, not 90W Xeon processors. If the one you have is actually for 90W, then you likely are ok - presuming that the TIM has not been used previously. If it has been used - or you want to take the conservative approach - then you need to replace it with third-party TIM.

...S

0 Kudos
RKnez
Beginner

It is Intel I7 4790K (88W tdp) cooler, so it is surely made for 90W. Xeon E3-1230 V3 is 80W tdp and since workstation is for graphic design it will be on low load or idle most of time so it must be sufficient. The seller claims that the coolers are not very old and that the thermal paste is fine, so I'll try to use it the way it is.

Thank you :)

0 Kudos