Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

OC i5 10600k, but Windows10 (20H2) resets BIOS setting

Jamie6870
Beginner

Hi,
I have a question I can't find an answer to, even after hours of searching (...).
And... I also asked this question yesterday in another place. But no tip yet...
If I find an or get an answer, I will post it here of course..

My question
I did a (small) OC via the BIOS. (After several tutorials...)
However now it appears that Windows 10 20H2 ignores my BIOS settings and resets the CPU to the values specified by Intel. This can be seen with CpuZ.

Windows starts up, then I immediately start CpuZ and see that the settings of the BIOS are taken into account.
After a few seconds of Windows booting I see in CpuZ that the settings are reset to multiplier 45 and the CPU speed is now also max 4500.

Relevant software and hardware I use
My MB is a Gigabyte Z490UD and has the latest BIOS version on it.
CPU is an i5 10600k

What I have already found or tried
I have found that this is a familiar thing. And also in a number of years.
Windows calls a file called: mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll
There are several ways to bypass this file. This by changing the name.
This can be done without any problems.
However, this does not give any result for me. I read that this also happens regularly to other people.

It is also advised to update the BIOS to the latest version. I went from F3 to the last one, F6c.
This doesn't make a difference however.
Because the BIOS is sometimes mentioned in other forums, as a reason for Windows to reset the settings of the BIOS, I also sent Gigabyte a message.

So, what I hope is... that someone can help me that Windows 10 20H2 gives me the freedom to set the CPU settings myself ... Instead of Windows taking Intel's advice...

Greetings Jamie

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jamie6870
Beginner

I found something... something from Gigabyte.
When I install Gigabyte's System Information View there's the downfall...
I used SIV because it has Smart Fan in it.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie6870

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure we understand correctly, could you please elaborate more regarding the findings you mentioned about "Gigabyte's System Information View" and "SIV" (System Information Viewer?)?

Do you mean you found the issue is related to those apps?

It is worth mentioning that Intel® does not support overclocking and we recommend using the system with the default settings in the BIOS recommended by the computer manufacturer (OEM).

Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; cause the processor and other system components to fail; cause reductions in system performance; cause additional heat or other damage, and affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications.

We could assist to test the performance and functionality of the processor within Intel®'s CPU specifications. You may run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool for this task. Feel free to share the outcome of the test. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Before running the tool, please make sure to set BIOS to defaults in order to disable any overclocking setting or Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) settings.

For assistance with BIOS settings please contact GIGABYTE* Support for proper guidance. For support with Windows® settings and configurations, we kindly recommend contacting Microsoft* Support for more assistance and debugging from their site.

Notes:

1- For those customers who are interested in overclocking but are concerned about the risk, we now offer the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. For customers who sign up for this plan, we will replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications. Please visit: Intel® Performance Tuning Protection Plan website for more information.

2- We also have available the Intel® Performance Maximizer, a software that uses machine-assisted testing for automatic overclocking on the latest gen Intel® Core™ processors. For more details please review the following links:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie6870

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Jamie6870

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Jamie6870
Beginner

Hi,
Well, I answered my own question..
And also posted my findings, not extensively perhaps, at the top.

The problem I was experiencing had to do with the software that came with my motherboard. And by the way, also occurred with the updates provided at the website from Gigabyte.

So, software off the computer, and then everything is free by me to set. Now it is running perfectly

0 Kudos
Jamie6870
Beginner

Hello Andrew,
Sorry for my late response!
Other things to do and looking for the solution took some time.

So the problem was that software from Gigabyte somehow blocked adjustments made in my motherboard to accepted into windows 10.

The i5 10600k has it in it to optimize performance and so does the Gigabyte motherboard.
And, that's what I wanted to look into and to explore.
Thanks for your time and kind regards!

0 Kudos