Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Old Pentium 4 PC crashes while updating audio driver

anthony_z
Beginner

Hey there,

I booted up an old PC and I need some help with an audio driver issue. Novice in tech, so please bear with me.

Specs:

CPU: Pentium 4  3.00GHz

Motherboard: P4C800-E Delux

System:  Windows XP Professional 32bit

So after each reboot, it gave me the 'Found New Hardware' message without specifying the name of the hardware. 

In Device Manager the problem was under 'Multimedia Audio Controller'. The device was unknown, the driver was missing. 

The hardware ID was:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&CC_0401

Based on a quick research, the above hardware ID was pointing to Realtek AC'97 Audio System, which is the built in audio system in Pentium 4 CPUs.

Found the driver for it here:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-ac-97-audio-codecs-software

The problem is when I try to install the driver, the PC crashes. See attached pics of the Error messages.

1.jpg2.jpg

After reboot (post crash) I still get the 'Found New Hardware' message, however this time it recognizes that it's the Realtek AC'97.

Device properties post crash:

3.jpg

Every time I try to install it (manually, automatically, uninstalled or not), it crashes.

My question is - based on the error messages - do you have any suggestions what might be the issue? Am I installing the wrong driver?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

In is a realtek driver (not Intel), and I do not know that it is the proper legacy driver.    Go to the motherboard/system manufacturer and get the proper driver for that board from them.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Nothing you have is supported.  Not the Processor, not the motherboard, not windows xp.

0 Kudos
anthony_z
Beginner
Thanks for the reply!

Even though nothing is supported, the proper legacy audio driver installation should still work, shouldn't it?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

In is a realtek driver (not Intel), and I do not know that it is the proper legacy driver.    Go to the motherboard/system manufacturer and get the proper driver for that board from them.

anthony_z
Beginner

Found the proper legacy driver on the motherboard's support page. Thanks for the tip!

The hardware ID is what confused me.

I appreciate your help, cheers!

0 Kudos