Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Options in XTU are greyed out

Data129
Beginner

Why are most of the options in XTU greyed out? I'm running an i7 12700k on an asus b660 board.

Screenshot 2022-04-21 105430.pngScreenshot 2022-04-21 105541.pngScreenshot 2022-04-21 105632.pngScreenshot 2022-04-21 105657.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Data129

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Is this a new system? Were the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) "greyed out" features enabled before? Or are you experiencing this behavior since the first day that you have the device?

2- If this worked as expected before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the behavior started? (For instance, Windows, driver, BIOS, or Intel® XTU updates?)

3- Are you using any other overclocking/auto-tunning software on the system?

4- Are you running any Virtualization Software (e.g.: for Virtual Machines or emulator software) on your system? Or is it Windows* Hyper-V enabled?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Data129
Beginner

Andrew

1- Yes it's a new system that i built.

2-XTU has always been like this I even tried to run it when i first installed the os without anything installed.

3-I'm not using any other overclocking software.

4-No Virtualization Software installed. I've tried XTU with hyper-v enabled and disabled. no difference.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Data129

Thank you for your response and for the Intel® SSU report.

In this case, we would like to recommend the following steps:

1- Please make sure that the Operating System (OS) is up to date and install any pending updates. You may refer to this link: Update Windows*. 

2- Reinstall the latest version of Intel® XTU. Please follow these steps and let us know the outcome:

1. Uninstall the Intel® XTU version from Windows Apps & Features.
  2. Go to Windows Device Manager and remove all the instances of the Intel® XTU component driver in the device manager under software components. Refer to How to Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).
  3. Reinstall the latest Intel® XTU Version 7.7.0.12.

3- Checking the motherboard's "TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4 User’s Manual*" we couldn't find any specific settings or recommendations for overclocking. In case a setting is needed in order to allow Intel® XTU to properly access the BIOS's overclocking capabilities, we recommend contacting ASUS* Support and reviewing with them the proper BIOS configurations to allow overclocking software (like Intel® XTU) to run properly on the system.

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Data129
Beginner

After spending online time with Asus, I found out that the TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4 doesn't have any overclocking capabilities. Great!! Now i have to buy another MicroATX with 12th gen, DDR4 ram compatibilities. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Data129

Thank you for your response.

We are sorry to know that the motherboard TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4 doesn't have any overclocking capabilities.

For overclocking purposes, the motherboard BIOS should support altering of CPU and/or RAM values in order to get full access to CPU and memory controls and this is usually applicable for Z- or X- chipsets.

If you are looking to buy another motherboard, the purchase decision may vary on different factors and this is something that you should take based on all your needs for a system.

However, what we can do is share with you the Intel® Product Compatibility Tool for Intel® Core™ i7-12700K Processor. Here, you may find a long list of motherboards compatible with this CPU as well details of the required (minimum) BIOS version for proper compatibility/functionality.

In addition, under each option in the list, you have a link reading "More Information"; clicking on it, will take you to the respective motherboard's website where you may review detailed information about each board.

The following links may be useful also:

Once you have some motherboard models "pre-selected" for your purchase decision, we highly recommend checking directly with their manufacturers to confirm the motherboard supports overclocking capabilities.

You may also consult overclocking forums for feedback, suggestions, and experiences from other overclocking enthusiasts.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Data129
Beginner

The bios doesn’t even let me to change the clock multiplier. I guess the Asus b660 boards are all the same in that aspect.  I don’t need to buy a board right now. For now I can work with what I have.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Data129

Thank you for your response.

We understand that for now, you will just keep using the current motherboard. In that case, please let us know if you have additional inquiries or if it is ok to close this request?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Data129

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Data129
Beginner
I guess it would be alright to say
It has been solved.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Data129

Thank you very much for your response. Since we can now consider this thread solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos