Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Overclocking problem with my i7 6800k

RSerb1
Beginner

So, I have a problem with overclocking my i7 6800k. My CPU has 6 cores. GHZ: 3.4 and turbo's up to 3.8.

For some reason when I set 4 Ghz on all cores in the Bios my cpu doesnt apply it, when windows is starting.

BUT if I set the 4 Ghz with the Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility, then it works but after a restart the cpu goes back to 3.6 Ghz on 5 cores and on the most stable one 3.8 Ghz.

I tried updating to an older BIOS, deinstalling Intel's Management System.

Would I get a different result if I try booting off a Windows to GO USB?

Is it maybe a software problem cause when underclock my cpu to lets say 3.3 Ghz, the bios and windows recognize the undervolt. Seems like the cpu doesnt want to go past

Core 0: 3.6 GHZ

Core 1: 3.6 GHZ

Core 2: 3.6 GHZ

Core 3: 3.6 GHZ

Core 4: 3.6 GHZ

Core 5: 3.8 GHZ

Before this problem occured, my cpu ran at 3.8 Ghz. Even then and now I dont have or had any problems with temperatues and voltage.

Richardo Serban

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

richi4590: Thank you for joining the Intel communities support.

Just to let you now, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Please check with the manufacturer of motherboard and system components for additional details.

The problem could be related to the BIOS, so the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the board.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TMuan
Beginner

I have the same CPU and the same problem, after the KB4100347 update on Windows 10 the CPU is unable to overclock.

This problem affects Broadwell-E CPU`s on the X99 platform, after the 1809 Windows update it is impossible to remove KB1400347 since it is a part of 1809.

I have the Asus ROG STRIX X99 Gaming motherboard with the 1902 BIOS, Asus has not yet released a new BIOS with a fix.

If you have an EVGA motherboard you might be lucky since EVGA released a new BIOS with a fix for the problem.

Here is a link to the ROG forums about the problem:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104978-Broadwell-E-users-watch-out-for-Windows-10-KB4100347-update Broadwell E users watch out for Windows 10 KB4100347 update

0 Kudos