Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Overheating i7-8750H Processor - boost mode setting?

MHida4
Beginner

Hello Intel Community,

I have recently purchased a HP gaming laptop with a Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor. Unfortunately I feel the machine is very much overheating while playing demanding games. I installed (CPUID HW Monitor) and saw that some cores were reaching the very high 90's. Is this normal?

I assumed that by disabling Intel Turbo Boost I could reduce temperatures. By default my machine is running over 3Ghz all the time even when not gaming. Doesn't this effect my CPU's lifespan?

Anyway my BIOS is locked, I cannot control Intel Turbo Boost thru there, so I edited the registry to show the "Processor Performance Boost Mode" setting under advanced power options.

The following settings I don't understand:

-enabled

-disabled

-efficient enabled

-efficient aggresive

-aggresive at guaranteed

-efficient aggresive at guaranteed

Would greatly appreciate any advice on this matter. Which is the best setting for gaming without burning up the CPU all the time?

Cheers!

MarkDM

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is not abnormal to see short-duration temperature spikes going up in the 90's, but it is certainly abnormal for the temperature to stabilize for longer durations at levels above, say, 90. In my mind, seeing these indicate that the cooling solution is inadequate (typically under-designed) or is failing (due to blower failure or dirt buildup). Try using compressed air to blow out the ducts.

...S

0 Kudos
MHida4
Beginner

Can anybody please explain in layman´s terms what each  "Processor Performance Boost Mode"  setting does and which is the best one for gaming:

-enabled

-disabled

-efficient enabled

-efficient aggresive

-aggresive at guaranteed

-efficient aggresive at guaranteed

Thanks

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello MHida4 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. I am noticing that are looking to have an explanation of the settings propose on the BIOS of your motherboard, in this case It is recommend to confirm this detail information with the HP the motherboard and BIOS manufacturer. HP support: https://support.hp.com/us-en Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos