Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14832 Discussions

P-Core stuck at a frequency 2.5 GHz lower than others?

SmartOne_2000
New Contributor I

Hi:

I was running a stress test (Cinebench Multicore, 30minutes) and noticed a low score during the stress test. I then realized that one of my cores was stuck at a frequency 2.5GHz less than others. No thermal throttling was detected, and power dissipation was ~ 265 watts according to HWInfo.

What would cause a core to run at a lower frequency as I noticed that its ratio also changed 30? That change is not by me as evidenced by the core ratios I programmed for an all-core test of 55.

P0 stuck at lower frequencyP0 stuck at lower frequency

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @SmartOne_2000

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please take in mind that the clock speed and frequency of the cores will depend on your system and workload. While executing code, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and Intel Speed Shift technology optimize the processor's IA core frequency and voltage based on workload. 

The workload is also distributed between the cores, so the frequency will not be the same in all cores. This is specified in the processor's datasheet, page 58.  See attached.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @SmartOne_2000

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please take in mind that the clock speed and frequency of the cores will depend on your system and workload. While executing code, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and Intel Speed Shift technology optimize the processor's IA core frequency and voltage based on workload. 

The workload is also distributed between the cores, so the frequency will not be the same in all cores. This is specified in the processor's datasheet, page 58.  See attached.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor I

Thank you, Jocelyn, for this helpful answer. God bless!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @SmartOne_2000

I am glad I could assist you with your inquiry.  

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos