Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

P-core problem

valkkis
Beginner

Hello! I have i9-12900K processor, and after several week with really great power. I notice that everything is not ok, games did not work as should and everything was little bit slowly. 

Check everything and notice that all P-cores was max 1800 MHz. No matter what I do, take back presivous BIOS, every set up default, re install newest BIOS (also with defaut) - same 1800 MHz. Reinstall Windows 11 (and two days of everything I could think of).

Result is same, I could incrase E-cores power, but P-cores remain max 1800MHz.

Temp's are below 50 C, so that is not the case. 

valkkis_0-1639345141263.png

Is my processor broken? Nothing change have made since totally good working and totally bad working set up. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @valkkis

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please provide us with the following details so we can review this further:

1- Please elaborate more when you said "games did not work as should and everything was little bit slowly". What are the exact behaviors/issues? What is the current state and what would be the expected scenario/performance for you?

2- Was the processor purchased less than 30 days ago?

3- Is there any sign of physical damage on the processor?

4- Did you overclock or try to undervolt the processor?

5- Did you enable Intel® XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles) and if yes, what was the memory speed configured?

6- We understand that you are running BIOS with the default settings, and no hardware or software changes have been made when the issue started, is this correct?

7- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

8- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
valkkis
Beginner

1. I did not know excatly time or date when CPU power have decreased, since there was many days that I only use PC for "Netflix" and emails. Then I need to work with huge excel and there I notice that everything is not ok. Then I try some games and they did not play well. Cinebench R23 result was 14470 - and week before it was over 27000. 

2. About, I get it in first shipment after launch. About november 7th.

3. no, and I have check with another i9-12900K CPU already - same result

4. yes I have, but only via software. And now I have no oc software installed, and same result

5. yes, and it was 3600

6. At the moment yes. I have tried every 3 BIOS there is, with defaul, and with several settings. 

7. Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool do not support i9-12900K at the moment.

8. done 

0 Kudos
valkkis
Beginner

Hello!

I will do all of those as soon as I'm home. 

But to clear this issue, it look like not be processor hardware issue, since I get another CPU and everything was totally same. So I think problem is BIOS/motherboard/setup. 

I have no games in system at the moment, since totally clear Windows install, 0807 newest BIOS with default settings, only couple of monitoring and benchmark software installed. 

Intel Processor Diagnostic tool Shows same 1,82 GHz as every else. 

I try today first Your given things, then reinstall 2 step old BIOS (that one I remember working totally fine), and then...

To clear everything work totally fine at the moment, but when P-core max is 1800 MHz everything is very slow. Installing Windows took at least double time. 

valkkis_0-1639649593344.png

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello valkkis

Thank you for your response.

We understand that you have tested with another Intel® Core™ i9-12900K Processor and the behavior is the same, therefore, chances are this could be a BIOS/motherboard issue. However, we would like to recommend the following steps:

1. If you are using an uninterruptible power supply or uninterruptible power source (UPS), check the batteries if it is in power saving mode, as this may reduce the amount of power coming to the CPU. Test also by connecting the computer directly to the power outlet on the wall.
  2. Clear the CMOS on your motherboard or reset it to default.
  3. Measure the performance of your CPU while doing benchmark on Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). Please provide details about the test.
  4. Check power options if available on Windows and on the BIOS. For this task, we recommend consulting with the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) for proper information and guidance.
  5. We understand that you enabled Intel® XMP¹ and used software for overclocking¹. Please test by disabling Intel® XMP and revert any changes performed through the OC software. Also, look at tools like Asus' AI Suite 3 or similar monitoring/tuning apps and test the behavior by disabling or shutting them down.
  6. You may also try a clean boot in Windows* to test the behavior.
  7. Make sure the processor is properly installed on the computer. You may try to reseat the CPU.
  8. We also recommend checking with ASUS* support what is the recommended BIOS version for the system. For instance, you may check if you should update again to the latest version 0807.

Note # 1:

Based on the motherboard specifications*, the board supports RAM DDR4. For DDR4, the Intel® Core™ i9-12900K Processor supports Memory RAM up to 3200 MT/s.

Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
valkkis
Beginner

Hello! 

Sometimes life and computers are mysteries. 

First I have installed clean Windows 4-5 times during this odd problem, and clear Cmos, and reset BIOS (several different revision), tried manuall OC, software OC (both Aisuite3 and XTU)....

Hardware side another CPU (same 12900K). 

Nothing did nothing. MAX 1800MHz

Then from XTU, I go general settings, Active Power plan was "saving power (image below)" - I turn it to best performance. And P-cores 2 and 5 start rise. Then I go to Windows control panel - power control set up (or what ever it is in english windows) and changed from balanced to performance. And hups!  Every P-cores wake up to life and over 5000 MHz.

But I have newer change neither of these, and both Windows, BIOS and XTU have installed several times during this problem period. MB have cleaned ... there have to be some 

Now every core work as should, SO this have to be some issue with somewhere deep inside MB! Everything else have changed totally, but I'm not engineer and frankly now I don't care. 

My machine work like Hell now, over 5200 MHz all 8 cores and no issues.  

Thank You, and if I have learn onething with computers, Your never alone, so when someone have this same problem, just keep trying everything (HWM active beside You). 

valkkis_1-1639784040606.png

valkkis_0-1639782797824.png

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello valkkis

Thank you very much for your response and for sharing this feedback, hopefully, this may help other users experiencing the same issue.

Since you are reporting that now the cores are working fine, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

As a final note, we understand that you tested another CPU (same model) and experienced the same behavior. In this case, we also agree that this seemed to be a motherboard/BIOS issue, therefore, we recommend checking with the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) in case the behavior returns and further assistance is required. For your convenience, here is the link to ASUS* Support.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos