Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

P2P (Local Peer-to-Peer) on Intel X58 IOH

nathow
Beginner

Cross-posting as the answer/expertise seems to be elusive.

What minimal combination of registers need to be set/unset in order for P2P to be enabled on this chipset?  How can one test that the same is correctly configured on some given host system?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @nathow

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

It is worth mentioning that in order to avoid duplication of efforts, only 1 thread is allowed for the same inquiry and we will be moderating threads and posts that are duplicated.

We noticed that this question is very similar to another one submitted through an internal case where Intel® Customer Support already provided details about the available channels of support; and we noticed this is also the same question as the one in this thread: P2P (Local Peer-to-Peer) on Intel X58 IOH (posted on 05-07-2021 in the Hardware Products > Server Products forum) that is still open.

We will therefore close this community thread from our end.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
nathow
Beginner

Andrew:

Please do not close this thread!  This cross-posting is intentional.  It is meant to wrangle in a larger/diverse audience.  I have yet to receive any concrete or constructive information in reply to my modest request.  It amazes me that the company responsible for creating this chipset has no/little clue as to how to answer my basic question on architecture.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have got to be kidding. You are asking about a product that was discontinued over 10 years ago. Out of sight, out of mind.

...S

0 Kudos
nathow
Beginner
So, is that Intel's official response... a "that's so 2010" and then the big middle finger?

If so, should it be assumed that your end-users will discard your products when you do?

Perhaps there were a couple more things that were discarded from 2010?...

"We are transforming from a company with a primary focus on the design and manufacture of semiconductor chips for PCs and servers to a computing company that delivers complete solutions in the form of... _supporting_ services." *

"Intel employees truly make _amazing_ things happen." *

* (as quoted from Paul S. Otellini in the Intel 2010 Annual Report)
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The situation is what it is. Intel has (IMHO: wrongly) decided that anything that is discontinued doesn't get any level of support - and that includes simple things like keeping driver releases around. Everything is focused forward and nothing backwards. Perhaps you should write to Pat and tell him about this situation...

...S

0 Kudos
nathow
Beginner

Well, Scott, this is unsatisfying at best, but it's straight talk, and for that: Thank you.

Apparently Pat's vision has run it's support lifecycle as well?

For now, I'll leave this right here for Pat--when he gets the time or has the inclination... he likely won't.

Lastly, even though I'll have to go this one alone, thanks for the work you guys do in the Kernel.  It's much appreciated.

0 Kudos