Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

PC will BSOD unless i have Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost disabled i7 6700k @ 4.0ghz

DWils10
Beginner

Hey all,

For the last week since getting this processor i've been doing everything to trouble shoot it.

The only way i can launch into windows without a BSOD before the login screen is to turn off hyperthreading and turbo boost. And, then still it will BSOD after maybe 15 minutes of use.

Intel diagnostic tool shows everything is working properly. I have ran memtest86 many times, not a single error. With 1 stick at a time and also both sticks at once. But as soon as i get into windows it would crash. Even with just 1 stick at a time and in different dimm slots...

I've tried countless other things and many different configurations, I'm at a loss on what the issue is.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro

Processor: Intel I7 6700k

Memory: Corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz @ 2133mhz

PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX 650G

GPU: Zotac gtx 1060 AMP! 6GB

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

I'll attach some minidumps as well

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello doosun,

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Could you please attach the results you got from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool? Please also let me know your BIOS version installed.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DWils10
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I have the latest BIOS Version installed, which is 3401.

I tried booting to see if I could run the diagnostic tool with hyperthreading and turbo enabled, which would probably help a bit. But, I didn't manage to get to the login screen after 20 blue screens, so I can't give those diagnostics.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116153 doosun, thank you for effort on getting these files.

I would like to share with you the following statement regarding this behavior: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-112063 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-112063. As you can see over there our recommendation is to get in contact with your computer manufacturer in order to make sure you have the appropriate BIOS version.

Please try this and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DWils10
Beginner

Hello,

I've been in contact with Asus for over a week and its not going anywhere. They have even told me the Z170 does NOT support the 6700K and then they even linked me to the page where it says it DOES support the 6700K. So it's been a very tedious process... I have the latest bios version 3401 flashed that is on the Asus website for the motherboard. But I do agree there is probably a unreleased version they can give me. I'll ask them.

However, I still blue screen when I have Hyper Threading DISABLED, just not as often. Which the thing you linked says that it is fine is Hyper Threading off. So, its clear it is a factor not the root cause. As I cant even boot up windows if Hyper Threading is enabled. With Hyper Threading disabled I can at least boot up and use my computer for around 15 minutes before it blue screens again.

This is a very odd issue and i don't think there is any software updates available at this time that can fix it. Saying I can't find anything online about anything similar or do I have any idea on how to fix this issue. I'll keep you updated on what happens.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
DWils10
Beginner

They said I have the most recent bios version that they have.

It seems they escalated my ticket on their end, so I'll see how that goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure /thread/116153 doosun, keep me posted.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DWils10
Beginner

Hello Amy,

I was able to try my CPU on another board that my friend was using for their I5-6600K. Putting my I7-6700K into their system I was still not able to boot to windows without getting a BSOD, but it still works fine for the I5-6600K. I'm very certain that this is a CPU issue and isn't related to the motherboard. They are also using a Z170 motherboard, which is running at the most recent bios version their motherboard had to offer.

I wasn't able to even boot into windows when I disabled Hyper-Threading on this motherboard at all. It was a complete BSOD loop no matter anything I tried.

Thanks for the help,

Dawson

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dawson, I am sorry to hear that!

Let's give it a try and replace the processor, find our contact information here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support. Replacing the unit will help to rule out an issue with the processor or will confirm the situation mentioned on post # 3.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DWils10
Beginner

Hello,

I figured it would be quicker to replace it through the retailer so I did that. The problem was fixed with a new processor.

Thanks for the help,

Dawson

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dawson,

Thank you for sharing this, and really glad to hear the new processor fixed the issue.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos