Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

PHOTOSHOP is extremly lagging in some cases but INTEL processor has a lot of available resources (gpu, memory, hdd also). What can i do to use it normally?

KHell3
Novice

I have a rather fast notebook, but some programs are extremely lagging in some cases.

For example when i am trying to resize multiple large objects in Photoshop - it lags a lot. But at the same time Task Manager shows that system has a lot of available resources.

Task Manager shows that i have a lot of free CPU, DISK, MEMORY, GPU.

At the moment of resizing Photoshop uses only 20% of CPU, but it is extremely lagging.

I made some mesurements in System Monitor (screenshot attached) it shows that at the time of resizing % of used processor resources for Photoshop process separately is 100%, but at the same time overall CPU usage is still just about 20-25%.

Why so, what can i do?

Sysytem interruptions are at the normal levels.

Paging file is OK too.

Processor temperature is fine.

Photoshop process priority is High.

My system:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Skylake)

Windows 10

DDR4 - 2133 МГц - 16 gb

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M - 4 GB

Intel 530 HD Graphics

Adobe Photoshop CC 2019

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Contact Adobe regarding THEIR software.

Doc

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

This kind of lags are not ONLY in Adobe software.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are likely bandwidth-limited. What are your storage capabilities?

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

There are free 500 GB free space on HDD, a lot of free RAM by the way and Paging file is not in use.

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

"Free Space" on HDD doesn't matter.... Is your drive HDD or SSD?... If HDD I think that is the problem and you should consider replacing for an SSD... HDD are very low performance for modern software and Windows 10.... If you are not seeing 100% CPU utilization, or 100%GPU utilization... this also points out the root cause is other than the CPU... It runs find on my system so this is not iGPU driver issue....

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Is the Scratch Disk enabled in Adobe Photoshop? Check the drive free space for Scratch Disk.
  2. Check the Performance (in Adobe Photoshop Preferences). Use of Graphic Processor should be enabled.

Leon

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice
  1. Yes they are. But anyway there are a lot of available RAM and Paging file is not in use.
  2. It is enabled
0 Kudos
Lewis-H
New Contributor I

You can improve performance by increasing the amount of memory/RAM allocated to Photoshop. The Memory Usage area of the Performance preferences screen (Preferences > Performance) tells you how much RAM is available to Photoshop. It also shows the ideal Photoshop memory allocation range for your system. By default, Photoshop uses 70% of available RAM.

1. Increate the RAM allocated to Photoshop by changing the value in the Let Photoshop Use box. Alternatively, adjust the Memory Usage slider.
  2. Restart Photoshop to enable your changes.
0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

There are maximum performance settings in Photoshop.

1. It is 75% now. By the way there are a lot of available RAM during interactions with PS.
0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

Should Intel Customer Service answer something?

Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

What about asking to the laptop manufacturer... they should provide you the support for their device... they should be able to replicate the behavior with the hardware you have... Check this with them.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello KHell3

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to know if you were able to check the latest recommendations provided by the community.

Could you please provide details of the software/apps that are experiencing lagging since you mentioned this is not only related to Adobe Software. Also, could you please elaborate more on the lagging behavior?

Finally, we would like to gather more details of your environment, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

Could you please provide details of the software/apps that are experiencing lagging since you mentioned this is not only related to Adobe Software. Also, could you please elaborate more on the lagging behavior? --> It considers system performance overall. Particularly it could be observed for example in Opera Browser or Photoshop, even when im trying to click right mouse on the desktop to call context it takes time to open it, or when im awaking notebook from sleep, it lags a lot for first 1-5 minutes. When it starts to lag, coolers begin to move faster, it looks like system stumbles a bit and then begin to work normally after some time. But in Photoshop it is always lagging when im using free transformation tool on a multiple objects.

ssu log is uploaded to this message.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello KHell3

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello KHell3

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

Hi again. I will provide it in ten minutes.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello KHell3

Thank you for your response.

We would like to recommend you to run the following tools in order to check the proper functionality of the processor:

A- Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report to this thread.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

B- Run a stress test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility - Intel® XTU and attach a screenshot of the test:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

Launch the application, Go to "Stress Test" >> Check "CPU Stress Test" and let the default time of 5 minutes, then click on "Start Testing".

Monitor the temperature and frequencies at the bottom and take a screenshot of the whole window.

C- Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to confirm the Operating System is identifying correctly the processor, its capabilities and the Based Processor Frequency. Please provide the result of the scan.

NOTE: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Additionally, you may try the following:

1- Based on Lenovo™ Website, it seems that the system is running the latest BIOS "E5CN63WW". However, just in case, you may check with Lenovo* if new BIOS updates are available that may help to improve system performance. You can check this from the below link, as well other drivers available, for instance, drivers for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M video card:

* https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/700-15isk/80ru/downloads/driver-list

2- Test by loading BIOS defaults, as well, check the BIOS to see if Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is disabled; if it is, test by enabling this feature.

3- Make sure you have the latest Windows® Updates available, as well as check if any other software may be affecting system performance, for instance, Antivirus software.

4- As another community member mentioned before, it seems that your system has an HDD drive based on the model "WDC WD10SPCX-24HWST1" (mechanical drive). HDD may have a negative impact on system performance. Have you checked with the manufacturer of the HDD about the health status of the drive and have you confirmed (for instance with Adobe*) it meets the hardware requirements. By any chance are you to test with an SSD drive or M.2 Drive?

Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Regards,

Andrew G.

* Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

Hi again, Andrew. I have repaired my power cable and finished all test you had suggested. All information is attached to this message. During CPU and Memory tests there was a thermal throttling but not often and only for a half a second.

1 - Lenovo update software says that all drivers is up to date.

2 - no effect

3 - windows is up to date

4 - Paging file is not in use during lags, so i think it is not about hdd speed.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello KHell3

We would like to know if you were able to check the recommendations provided in our previous post. Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
KHell3
Novice

Hello, Andrew.

I have started Memory Stress test in software you mentioned. ​After few minutes my notebook shuts off, power cable begins to smell bad and smokes. I cant start it anymore. I dont know if it is a coincidence or not. But i will buy a new power cable and start it once more and will provide you information. Please, give me time to do this. Thank u in advance.

0 Kudos