Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

POST Code 92

Raise
Beginner

Hello,

i bought a Intel Core i9 11900K processor and sometimes when i boot my PC then my Asus board shows me the code 92 and i get a black screen. I was looking for a solution tested every single component like my gpu, ram, mainboard etc. and everything is fine. In my guess something is wrong with my processor. Can someone help me pls? Sorry for my bad english. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In AMI's standard set of POST Codes, POST Code 0x92 indicates that PCI Bus initialization has been initiated. If this is the last POST Code presented, I would presume that a bus lockup is occurring. I would then start looking for a PCIe add-in card or device that is in the process of failing (and hence why this is occurring intermittently). I would remove all add-in components (don't forget the Wireless card; it utilizes PCIe lanes as well) and add them back in one at a time, resetting the system and allowing POST to run over and over, until an error occurs. Once an error occurs, you can walk backwards through the devices added to determine which is the culprit. I know that this can be a mind-numbing process, but that's really the only way to look for intermittently-failing devices.

I will add that it is also possible (although less likely) that the culprit is the processor itself or PCIe bus support circuitry on the motherboard.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Raise
Beginner

Thank you very much for your answer. I´ll try to find the component which causes the issue but that is a bit hard for me because i run a custom waterloop.

Edit: I found out that maybe my graphics card causing this problem because i unplugged my display port cable and instead of that i tried a hdmi cable. Suddenly it worked for me and since then i get a picture. Thats really weird and i never ever had a issues like this one. Next day i´ll finaly get a new rtx 3080 graphics card. Maybe that will help.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the DisplayPort cable has gone bad [Aside: it's amazing how often I see cables go bad; maybe I should spend more money on them; you do get what you pay for - and I am a cheapskate!] and this is the only monitor connected to the system, then I could understand this result. I say understand it, but it really shouldn't be happening; headless operation should be supported.

...S

0 Kudos