Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

POST failure after upgrading to i5! Any solutions?

AOliv15
Beginner

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/G4cs4C

Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/G4cs4C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($150.00)

Motherboard: Asus - H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)

Memory: Crucial - 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)

Memory: Crucial - 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $53.00)

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)

Video Card: Asus - Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (Purchased For $121.54)

Power Supply: Antec - 450W ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN721N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $0.00)

Case Fan: Rosewill - RFA-80-K 33.2 CFM 80mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)

Keyboard: Cooler Master - CM Storm Devastator - OEM Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)

Other: HP Pavillion Old MicroATX Case (Purchased)

Total: $324.54

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-09 21:52 EDT-0400

Recently I have sucessfully upgraded to an i5 4440 at last. However I ran into a problem. The PC turns on fine with all the light indicators working as expected plus all the fans running just fine without any issues. However the system doesn't POST at all despite having the latest bios version. I've also readjusted the RAM, checked to see if I've improperly installed the processor, and also have removed the GPU to ensure that it wasn't the main cause of the boot failure.

As I re-installed the i3-4170 properly, then when the PC finally booted after POST I've realized what has happened. Either the CPU is no good (despite the CPU being tested and in working condition before being sold) or that it got damaged in shipping.

However before I should ask for a refund, what should I do first to fix this issue and how to fix it? I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TreeGhostMan,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this processor.

Based on your description and tests it seems like you might need to take the processor back to the store for the replacement or refund, but before doing it could you please confirm if this is the BIOS version you updated to: https://www.asus.com/us/support/CPU/1/45/5/1/jFB3K56VopR5yFB0/C20130712152711/ ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- CPU Support - H81M-A?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
AOliv15
Beginner

I currently have a refund request opened on ebay and I'm awaiting a response from the seller.

My latest BIOS version of my motherboard is Version 2203 with the Date of 2015-05-26. The i5 4440 should be working and should POST just fine with the current BIOS version without any issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TreeGhostMan, yes, based on your tests the processor should be working.

Please let me know how the request goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TreeGhostMan, hope you were able to get the refund for the unit.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
AOliv15
Beginner

Yes. I have managed to get the refund. So anyways, regarding the defective i5 4440, I've also cleaned the CPU as much as I can and as carefully as possible. The processor has still failed to POST. In conclusion, the item is indeed faulty and I'm glad I've gotten my refund.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TreeGhostMan, my apologies for the inconvenience. I am really glad you got the refund.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos