Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

PXE Error

SIked5
Beginner

Hello! I have an HP laptop, specifically, a 2010 EliteBook.

A couple weeks ago, I attempted to boot into Windows, but got an error.

• PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.
  • PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

It automatically redirects to a screen, asking me to install an OS. However, thing is, after messing with certain, and at time, random settings in the BIOS, it boots. I assumed that, perhaps, Windows was corrupt, and since I was planning on switching to Linux anyways, I made the switch, however, it didn't seem to change anything. I'm using an Intel i5 processor and an HDD rather than an SSD. I heard that unchecking "Network Boot" would help, but to no avail. I also heard that perhaps the hard drivr is disconnected from the motherboard, however I don't feel like that would explain why tweaking with certain BIOS settings (usually changing the boot order slightly, or enabling/disabling fast boot). Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, there are a few possibilities. Here they are in order of likeliness:

1. Your HDD is failing. Replacing it when you have an ancient laptop like this is a waste of money. Replace this laptop with something more modern.
  2. Your BIOS is mucked up. Make sure you are running on the latest available BIOS. Then, set its BIOS configuration to BIOS defaults and then set the boot order. Don't turn on Fast Boot.
  3. Your motherboard is failing. If this is the case, it's really, really time to replace this ancient laptop with something more modern.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos