Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Pentium D 840 2nd core not detected

idata
Employee

I have just installed a Pentium D 840 on a Foxconn NF4SLI7AA-8KRS2 motherboard. Foxconn site states that said motherboard is compatible with Pentium D and Smithfield processors. Phoenix-AwardBIOS, PCWizard and Intel Processor ID Utility detects 2 cores, albeit no activity on 2nd core and running at a lower clock speed. CPU-Z, BOOT.INI (by way of msconfig) Device Manager and Task Manager of Windows XP does not detect 2 cores. I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2. I have already done a Repair Install. As far as I can remember, APIC Mode on the BIOS is Enabled and MPS Version Control For OS is set to 1.1 (from 1.4). I've yet to try to reflash my BIOS but I found out that the BIOS version the Foxconn website is offering is already the version of the BIOS I am using so at this point I have not reflashed my BIOS yet (yay or nay?).

So, is there anything else I should do short of doing a fresh install of WinXP and/or literally shooting my PC? Do these processors come with drivers? If so, can anyone help me source it? I don't think I've found 'em here in the Intel website.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

I would suggest running the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to determine if the processor is being properly recognized.

You can download the Intel® Processor Identification Utility at:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

Intel processors do not required any driver since they are software independent, however the in some cases the operating system requires a driver that is provided by the operating system developer, for it to properly recognize the processor.

So if the Intel® Processor Identification Utility reports the processor as the correct one, and detects both cores, then a clean installation of the operating system would be a good idea, make sure that the BIOS is detecting the right processor, and install the latest BIOS version available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for the help Adolfo_Intel, but I just figured and fixed the thing out by clearing the CMOS / removing the motherboard battery for several minutes and putting it back again. previous programs that was not detecting 2 cores or detecting 2 cores but with the wrong processor speed is now reporting correctly.

0 Kudos