Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14531 Discussions

Physical processors, how to turn the function off.

NHaup
Beginner

I have a lamborghini vs7sx, processor model i7 2670qm. How do i turn off physical processor. Msconfig do not change the function.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What are you trying to do? Do you mean disable a single core? You'll have to be more elaborate in your explanation.

...S

0 Kudos
NHaup
Beginner

Hello, i just want to change 8 cores with physical processors to normal 4 cores with 4 processors.. I know this function works through msconfig, but i dont know why the function do not change with this lamborghini model vs7sx...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah, ok, you still aren't saying it correctly but I understand what you want to do. You want to disable Hyperthreading so that you have one thread per core (instead of two).​ With your i7-2670qm, this would reduce you from 8 threads to 4.

D​oing this via MSConfig is not the right way to do this. You need to do this in BIOS Setup. There should be an option to enable/disable Hyperthreading there. Disable it and you will have one thread per core.

H​ope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
NHaup
Beginner

Right, i found out that hyper-v was turned off, so this turning on actually solved the problem with the physical processors, but i know that 4 cores works more efficiently over 4 processor., dont know which software could solve it if possible.. Thanks so far :)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This has absolutely nothing to do with Hyper-V.

Actually, providing you have sufficient operations running in parallel, it is technically more efficient to have Hyperthreading enabled. If both hyperthreads are busy, this will keep more of the Core's capabilities busy at the same time.

I thought that perhaps you were asking because you had read about the way that one hyperthread could be used in a side-channel (i.e. Spectre type) attack that could allow lower privilege code running on one hyperthread to ascertain the contents of data being accessed by higher privilege code running on the other hyperthread.

...S

0 Kudos