Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

PlunderVolt, Undervolting 10th gen cpus on laptops

GaebrilleD
Beginner

Due to plundervolt Intel and laptop manufacturer decided to turn off undervolting with software like xtu so now you would need to access the bios to change your cpu voltage which is impossible for the majority of laptops as manufacturer dont let you mess with cpu setting in the bios. This suck because I cant tune my laptop to consume less energy so the battery last longer and produce less heat. My question is is Intel currently working on a fix to plundervolt and we will be able to undervolt our laptops with xtu in the future or is plundervolt a hardware bug that cant be simply fix with an update and people with 10th gen laptop wont have access to undervolting permanently?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I think it is the latter. Considering that they removed the capability with a microcode update, I would say it's likely permanent. I am sure that Intel wouldn't take away a very useful capability if they didn't have to, but their commitment to security takes precedence.

...S

0 Kudos
GaebrilleD
Beginner

Yeah its been a while since they turned undervolting off so its starting to look like the permanent solution, and that really sucks but i do hope that its just a software bug that can be patched soon.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Read the description here: https://plundervolt.com. The flaw is in Intel SGX, which is microcode or silicon level, not software.

...S

0 Kudos