Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Power Limit Throtling in m3-8100Y

Deadline
Beginner

Hi!

I have a problem with m3-8100Y processor in a GPD Pocket 2 mini "laptop".

The problem is, that it's under performing in almost everything.

I have checked it in benchmarks, and everyday use.

Yesterday I installed XTU and noticed that it drops the frequency to 1-1.2 Ghz whenever I do anything (and I mean anything, from web browsing to installing drivers), but when idle it stays at over 3 Ghz.

So I ran benchmarks in XTU and it states that my cpu is "power limit throttling".

How can I fix this? What are the proper settings in XTU for this CPU?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XChea
Beginner

If I recall the product does comes with a silence or quiet mode. Just to be sure you are not turning the fan off by turning the mode on and causing the machine to overheats and throttling.

0 Kudos
Deadline
Beginner

The fan is working at full speed - it has 58 C under full load, and XTU does not display any thermal throttling, the only thing it is displaying is "power limit throttling", and I have seen people saying that it's due to wrong configuration in voltage, boost and other options.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Power Limit Throttling occurs as a result of limits that are being imposed by the unit's BIOS. You need to look closely at your BIOS configuration. Try resetting the BIOS configuration to its defaults and see if the problem continues to occur. If it does - and you cannot find any BIOS Settings that allow you to disable this limiting - then you need to contact the laptop manufacturer and ask them what is going on.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos