Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Power Limit Throttling

Dominic
Beginner

I just built my new PC and i am having a very big problem with my Intel Core i7 10700k power limit throttling. It is fine while idle but when i load into a game it drops down to 0.8ghz. My temps are very good and i have all updated drivers. i can't find anybody who has fixed this problem. please help!

My Specs

Intel Core i7 10700k

Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super

EVGA Supernova G5 1000 Watt

MSI mpg Z490 gaming edge wifi

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Dominic

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We noticed that you have an internal support case open regarding the same behavior and you have been provided with assistance through the internal case. Since only one case/thread is allowed for each issue and in order to avoid duplication of efforts, could you please confirm if you prefer to continue the support through the internal case or through the community?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Powerline304
Beginner

Hey,

I'm having the same issue with my i7-10700. The maximum processor frequency has not budged past .8 GHz, with the highest temp of 29C. Is there a way to turn off this throttling or did you find a solution for yours?

0 Kudos
Dominic
Beginner
I did find a solution, in the Msi Dragon Center app you have to turn off "Game Mode"
0 Kudos
Powerline304
Beginner

Thanks for replying. I've actually found that turning the turbo boost and short turbo boost power max wattage down alleviates the problem. While the throttling may still occur, it seems more normal staying around 4.5Ghz. I set both values to 64 watts because that's one lower than the max wattage. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Dominic

We are checking this thread and we noticed that you mentioned you found a solution for this behavior. Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now.

If you need any additional information, we kindly recommend continuing working through your internal support case, or to submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Also, thank you @Dominic and @Powerline304 for taking the time to share your feedback on how you resolved the issue. Hopefully, it may help other users experiencing similar behavior.

If other community peers experience similar issues, please submit your own thread or contact Intel® Customer Support directly via phone or chat in your local region within the local business hours:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@2

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos