Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Price for 10980xe, is it possible?

SystormX
Beginner
Hi, guys! The question is simple, is it possible if price for 10980Xe is only 485$ for one piece, but only if you buy 10 minimum, it's wholesale from the made in china com, or it's fraud? I'm inclined that is a fraud, but I could be wrong. I'm cg artist, I won't buy 10, but some reseller maybe.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These are not questions I can answer (I would use the 'above my pay grade' line, but I am a volunteer here, getting paid nothing and thus *everything* is this above my pay grade!).

@Jean_Intel - tag you're it.

...S

P.S. Just saying, Intel should publish an authorized (end-user) sellers list as well.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SystormX,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

Regarding your query, it is important to mention that our Recommended Customer Price is $1076.00 - $1086.00, as stated in the product specifications. The Recommended Customer Price (RCP) is pricing guidance only for Intel products. Prices are for direct Intel customers, typically represent 1,000-unit purchase quantities, and are subject to change without notice. Prices may vary for other package types and shipment quantities. If sold in bulk, the price represents individual units. The listing of RCP does not constitute a formal pricing offer from Intel. RCP values can vary due to tariffs.

However, you must consider that product resellers have their pricing and discounts. We would like to recommend checking this information with our Intel® Authorized Distributors and Approved Suppliers.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

System manufacturers purchase processors from Intel in bulk trays. They are thus often referred to as 'tray processors'.

Ofttimes, manufacturers will have some number of these processors left over. They try to recoup at least part of what they've paid by selling these left-overs on the gray market. The problem is that only the original purchaser (i.e., the system manufacturer) has a warranty for these processors; the purchaser on the gray market do not have a warranty - and they only find this out when they have a problem and try to get it replaced.

You get what you pay for. You can legally purchase a tray processor - and it will often be much cheaper than if purchasing a boxed processor - but you will not get a warranty for this processor. Most of the time, this works out ok, but when something goes wrong, well, you are out whatever you paid. Secondly, there are a lot of shenanigans that go on. Often, used processors are presented as being new, unused processors. They work, but they may have had a hard life so far and not much lifetime left, or they are simply duds that do not work. It is thus important to purchase tray processors only through reputable services so that the processor can be returned if it doesn't work as advertised.

There is another thing to be worried about. Early in the new processor release process, Intel will provide, free of charge, Engineering Sample and Pre-Production processors to companies to use to test their new motherboard, laptop and system products. There are lots of unscrupulous folks, mostly in China, that will illegally sell these samples misrepresenting them as new or used - but production-level - processors. I say illegally because these samples are given to them free of charge on the proviso that they are never sold; that they are either destroyed or returned to Intel once the manufacturer is done with them. The issue with having these processors is that they may have errata that cannot be addressed by microcode update. They may appear to work just fine - for a time - but could fail if a certain operation or particular ordered set of operations is performed.

So, there you have it. You can now make a fully educated decision.

..S

0 Kudos
SystormX
Beginner

Hi, Thank you very much for the answer. And I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that the seller is offering Boxed version of the CPU's and saying that it has 3 years of warranty. Me personally, I would never buy tray version, not worth the risk.

The company represent itself as "

Hdyy Technology Limited

• SystormX_0-1669808513917.png

Gold Member
  • Hubei, China

"

Can someone from Intel tell me if they authorized to sell those CPU's? 

I understand about Taxes, delivery e.t.c additional spending, but price is still to good to be true, I think.

I'm not a merchant, and I could be naive in this type of business, maybe, but I'm careful and not stupid.

By the way, what happened to MSRP, why it changed to RCP while price is almost the same?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These are not questions I can answer (I would use the 'above my pay grade' line, but I am a volunteer here, getting paid nothing and thus *everything* is this above my pay grade!).

@Jean_Intel - tag you're it.

...S

P.S. Just saying, Intel should publish an authorized (end-user) sellers list as well.

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SystormX,

We have always used RCP* for pricing guidance for our Intel products.

Also, we have shared with you the link for the Intel® Authorized Distributor, or Intel® Approved Component Supplier, where you can check the list of our Authorized Distributor, you can select your country/region on the drop-down menu to confirm the distributors located on your region. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SystormX,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos