Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Problem with midi controller and intel i7 11th gen

basbo
Novice

Hello,

There seems to be a problem with the new intel i7 11th gen chip and MIDI controllers.
I tried to solve the problem on my own but it seems Intel has to help to update the audio drivers on this 11th gen for midi controllers.

MSI Prestige 15
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
16,0 Go RAM

Thanks

24 Replies
ReX_TeCH
New Contributor I

Hi @basbo 

Hope you are doing well, thanks for posting your query.

Possible recommended fixes for you :

1. Elaborate on your issue so that I can help you in a better way.

2. Try updating BIOS ( probably the fix came the last Dec.)  MSI support 

3. Try updating Windows, for many of them this also fixed the issue.

4. As it's a laptop directly and most easily you can seek help from  MSI support.

Hope this information helps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

ReX_TeCH
(Independent Advisor)

0 Kudos
basbo
Novice

Hi,

1. The  problem might be better explained in this post from Serato (DJ Software) : https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002631856-%20PROBL%C3%88ME-CONNU-Ordinateurs-avec-Intel-11th-gen-Core-i-series-CPU-s-can-result-in-a-failed-audio-or-MIDI-connection-with-Serato-primary-hardware?%20source%20=%20recherche 
    It was also already mentioned in another Intel topic : https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Issue-with-11th-gen-i5-and-midi-controllers/td-p/1267601 

2. BIOS has been updated yesterday

3. Windows is up to date

4. Already got in touch with MSI, couldn't help much for now. I'm waiting for their further help but thought it could be good to post here too.

have a nice day !

sudd3nly
Novice

I have the same problem with my MSI Prestige 15. I tried everything to solve the problem

I've also updated BIOS and sound drivers (both laptop and software which is Rekordbox).

Only a few buttons react on the music controller (Pioneer DDJ-400), they work in the same way regardless of whether the console has a Rekordbox activated or not.  What steps did I take? I replaced drivers - all sound and software drivers, I installed ASIO driver separately, reinstalled Rekordbox removing all sources, reset Windows to factory settings, combined with the sound source and its reset, connected the control to various USB ports. Still not working. The controller itself is 100% functional.

From what i read this is a wide problem with i7 11th gen.

Typical topics:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/my-pioneer-ddj-rr-is-not-working-seems-like-a-midi-problem.360300/

https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/900002832843-DDJ-400-not-recognized-as-audio-device-controls-don-t-work-in-Rekordbox-Windows-10-?fbclid=IwAR0uM1VthBEMGjfgCijUdC9alNkCw6BogFJiOAIqarv0g5nrNBcNP7rYMqg

Im waiting for the real solution because i bought this laptop especially for music and i can't do it on right now.

I will be grateful for your response.

basbo
Novice

Hi mate,

Seems we have the exact same problem (except I use a Reloop controller and not Pioneer).
I'll let you know if MSI gives me a solution ! Please let me know if you find somthing too !

Have a good one

sudd3nly
Novice

Thanks for answer man.

And to Intel crew, we still waiting for the real solution or at least information if it will ever change (any update is coming?), you can go though internet and see that this is a common problem for 11th gen users.

Would be nice to hear from you.

WBPB
Novice
Hi there, did you get this issue resolved?
My issue is that I have an HP ENVY laptop with an 11th generation i7 processor and am having serious audio issues when i use any dj mixer with a built in sound card (rane seventy, numark scratch, Akai AMX) the issues display themselves with audible pops & cracks and sometimes distortion if i play the audio file through the sound card (no matter what audio software i use(ive tried serato, tidal, vlc etc) and if i use my DVS(digital vinyl system) the problem gets even worse and can be visually seen by the dvs scope distorting and the quality percentage jumping all over the place between 100% - 70% which results in audio wobble, tempo changes and sometimes the scope completely goes crazy and i just get distorted noise coming though my speakers!
I've tried getting the issue resolved by communications with Rane DJ, HP , serato, John lewis(who i purchased it from) and intel. I've followed all of their suggestions but each company just blames another company and won't accept responsibility! From what i can tell from these posts and from other website forums the issue is most likely with the 11th generation processor. ....
If anyone has any suggestions then please let me know as i have now ran out of options?
0 Kudos
basbo
Novice

Hi,

Still waiting for solutions... 
After a few emails with MSI here is what they answered to me... 

basbo_1-1621847018815.png

If both of Intel and MSI tell me to get in touch with the other one, we'll never find a way to get out of this.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello basbo,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

3. Can you provide more details about the issue (I am aware of the link on your post).

4. If possible, can you share pictures or videos of the behavior of the issue?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
basbo
Novice

Hi, 

Here are the answers to what you asked

1. and 2. : attached to this reply

3. and 4. : I did a video to explain the problem to MSI, I'll send you the same one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AiA7yoNZI 

Have a good one.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello basbo, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello basbo, 

I do appreciate the video shared, thank you.

In order to continue with the research, I would like to confirm the following information:

1. Have you tried the audio and graphics drivers from your laptop manufacturer?

2. Have you tried with the graphics drivers from intel?

- Driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t

3. Have you reinstall the Intel Graphics Driver and Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) driver? For this you may need to contact the laptop manufacturer since Intel ISST is only provided by the computer manufacturer

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
basbo
Novice

Hi Deivid,

I got in touch with MSI (laptop manufacturer) and did a lot of things they told me to try but nothing solved the ptoblem.

Intel graphics update does not help either. 

have a good one

0 Kudos
sudd3nly
Novice

Hey man,

seems that we were very lucky buying this exact laptop...

are you planning to contact MSI once again or you leaving this? probably we won't solve this otherwise. Could you post the solution in this thread if any will appear (if they post any)? i'll be grateful forever.

best wishes

0 Kudos
basbo
Novice

Hey,

I already been struggling with MSI for weeks now to find answers...
If they find a solution in any way, I'll let you know for sure !

You can maybe tell them you have the same problem, it will maybe push them to act faster :)) 

Have a good one!

0 Kudos
sudd3nly
Novice

Hey,

Thanks for answer.

Ofc, I will also write to them

To the next!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello basbo, 

Thanks for the information provided, with this I will be able to continue with the research. I will post back as soon as I have any updates.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello basbo, 

I would like to let you know that this issue needs to be debugged by each laptop manufacturer. After some research, we noticed that the fixes have come from updating the Realtek audio drivers to updating the BIOS. Either would be 3rd party components OEMs can update and not one controlled by Intel.

If the laptop manufacturer debugs the issue and finds it is caused by an Intel component then they can report it directly to us and we will cooperate with the investigation.

Also, we cannot assure complete compatibility with all devices since some of them can be limited by the manufacturer (laptops, motherboards). They can add/delete/change features to make them fully functional. Most of these changes are made through the BIOS and their customized drivers. 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Bjohnson184957
Beginner
Alright, first things first, my apologies for reviving an old thread. With that out of the way, I may have a temporary solution to your issue, as I have a very similar issue with my lenovo yoga w/11th gen i5.

-With your midi device disconnected, open device manager.
-Locate and expand ‘system devices’
-Locate Intel Smart Sound Technologies Audio Controller, right click and disable it.
- Close device manager, connect your midi device and open your daw or standalone plugin.
-When finished using the midi device, simply reopen device manager and enable the ISST Audio Controller.

This is the only way I’ve found to resolve the issue effectively for myself. Hope it works for you as well if I’m not too late to the helpful replies party.
0 Kudos
Lemmex
Beginner

Having the same problem today with a HP Spectre 11th gen i7 and a Numark DJ2GO2. You just saved me a lot of trouble!

Fix for me ended up slightly different but the same idea:

- Connect the Midi+Sound device to USB and wait for it to install.

- Go to device manager and check the sound devices. If Intel Advanced USB audio is present, right-click and uninstall (also check the delete drivers box)

- Disconnect and reconnect the USB device and check the Intel USB drivers have not come back. If they haven't the midi device should now work normally again I'd guess this would work for other DJ decks also as it seems just to not like the intel usb audio driver.

Bjohnson184957
Beginner
Glad to hear you resolved your issue and shared it for everyone’s benefit! I had a few hair pulling moments of frustration trying to get usb midi connection for my edrum module recognized before I stumbled upon the same comment of advice buried deep in some tech site’s forum and I’m forever grateful to that user. When I connect to my interface with 5 pin midi cables, I run into a lot of issues while recording that are very solvable, but it doesn’t make for very good business when your client books an hour and you have to spend part of that time correcting timecode and double triggering issues. Have fun creating, my friend!
0 Kudos