Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Problema di Thermal Throttling INTEL CORE I7 6700 HQ

TPagn1
New Contributor I

Buongiorno, ho un problema con il mio pc DELL XPS15.

Utilizzando il programma INTEL EXTREME TUNING UTILITY risulta che il mio processore INTEL CORE I7 6700 HQ è costantemente in Thermal Throttling limitato ad una frequenza di 0.8GHz contro i 2.6Ghz che può sostenere. Anche sotto stress le temperature non superano i 60°C, quindi si deve trattare di un settaggio errato. Come posso risolvere?

Grazie

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TPagn1
New Contributor I

Hi!

Finally I solved my problem!!

SOLUTION:

I opened my pc, unplugged battery, clean up everything, pushed power button for 10 seconds and then replugged battery.

When I restarted the pc It was faster and I checked frequency with task manager and done some benchmarks… now everything is ok!

I' m so happy

Thank you all for the help!

Tom

View solution in original post

23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU only supports X and K processors, not H. You have an H processor.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, it is not thermal throttling if your temperatures are under 60c. Thermal throttling only happens at approx. 100c. You are likely seeing power throttling - and this may be the result of attempting to use XTU on an unsupported processor (so stop!).

...S

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I

Screenshot_20200204-093136_WhatsApp.jpg

So you're saying that data in XTU are wrong because It doesn't support my processor... So how do you explain the problem with the frequency? I'm using a 1500€ pc and I've got problems using Excell...

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I

I forgot to say that I downloaded XTU yesterday and I've got the problem since last year

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your processor is not supported by XTU. Any results you are seeing are meaningless.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I

And what about CoreTemp, UserBenchmarks And Task Manager of Windows that ​show The frequency is always 0.8?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Different issue.

I would start by updating the bios, resetting bios defaults, making sure you are on WIndows 10 version 1909.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I

BIOS and WINDOWS updated

I've also tried changing settings in the BIOS like "Intel SpeedStep" and "C STATES", no effects, always at 0.8 GHz

I've also used Dell Diagnostic program to update all the drivers

Windows.PNGbios.PNG

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What are you using to display the frequency? XTU? You should uninstall XTU.

With the BIOS reset to its default settings, I would like you ro download and run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. If it does not pass, attach the log file(s) generated to a response message.

Regardless, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and attach the report to your response message.

...S

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I

1 - BIOS reset done

2 - Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool installed

3 - Test stress opening a game and other programs: no changes, still Throttled, even usage is blocked under 30%

4 - Intel System Support Utility installedUtility.PNG

stress.PNG

Diagnostic Tool.PNG

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, you did note that in the output of the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, the frequency went right up to and was measured at 2.59GHz and there was no throttling going on (this would have failed the test if it had occurred at any point in time).

I would add that these Intel tools all produce report files. I didn't want captures of the screens, I wanted these report files.

...S

TPagn1
New Contributor I

If it's not throttling what could it be?

I attached the results,

thank you

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I
posted a file.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Please send report from iPDT as well.

...S

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I
posted a file.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I said that there didn't appear to be any temperature-based throttling going on - but I await the iPDT report to confirm this. The iPDT report will also allow me to identify if temperatures are reaching levels that would preclude Intel Turbo Boost from kicking it.

In laptop designs, there are also facilities that they use to throttle the system based upon power usage, etc. Sometimes there are parameters in BIOS Setup that allow you some level of control over this kind of throttling. If we show that temperatures are not a significant factor and we thus believe that some kind of throttling is being done by these facilities, you have to discuss it with your laptop vendor as we have no control over that. Let's not get ahead of ourselves; upload this report and we'll go from there.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not seeing any temperature data in this report. Can you re-run the tool - but this time enable temperature-based monitoring/testing.

...S

0 Kudos
TPagn1
New Contributor I

Ok, so

These are the tests iTPD allows me to do

I attach the new results, I hope there are the ones you're looking for, if not,Tomorrow I'll try the 120 minutes test.tests.PNG

Meanwhile I attach an image that shows that iPTD indicates frequency to be 2.59Ghz (test passed) and  AT THE SAME TIME OF THE TEST Task Manager shows a frequency of 0.80... how can it be possible? I'm loosing faith...

Example.PNG

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, it seems that, in the latest version, Intel has removed support for thermal validation from the tool. Grrrr. Worse, they have removed support for downloading the earlier versions. Double Grrrr.

Here's what I want you to do:

1. Completely uninstall the version of iPDT that you now have installed.
  2. Install the earlier version that I have attached to this email (lucky I saved it).
  3. Start the tool running. When it says a newer version is available, tell it to ignore this and run the test.

Hope this works. It is unclear they will support binaries being uploaded (even in ZIP files).

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Intel has removed support for thermal validation from the tool. Grrrr. Worse, they have removed support for downloading the earlier versions. Double Grrrr."

Seems to be a lot of that going on lately.

Doc

0 Kudos