Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Problems with turbo on E5-2690 v1 on DX79TO mobo, not performing as advertised.

Grimmotron
Beginner

My desktop is running a E5-2690 (https://ark.intel.com/products/64596/) in a Intel DX79TO (https://ark.intel.com/products/55800/). 

Flashed to newest BIOS, set BIOS to default with high performance settings etc..

------

Now to the problem:

At single core benchmarks the multiplier only goes up to x33, but should go to x38. Nowhere near the advertised speeds I read everywhere else. 

With all cores on full load the multiplier only goes to x29, when it's supposed to sit at x33.

System runs cool at below 60C with all cores at full load, no thermal throttling..

Anyone got a clue what's going on? I had no problems like this running a 3930k in the exact same system.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

-----

Specs:

- E5-2690

- DX79TO

- 24GB DDR3 1600MHZ (2x4GB & 2x8GB)

- 1080 TI SLI

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to the Compatibility report, the E5-2690 v1 is NOT a supported processor for the DX79TO.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Grimmotron
Beginner

All sandy bridge 2011 cpus work fine on the board. A friend of mine has a DX79SI and the same cpu worked fine in that one. That mobo wasn't supported either..

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, all Sandy Bridge processors DO NOT work fine on this board. You simply cannot make blanket statements like that. If the processor is not in the compatibility list, then (a) the BIOS may not initialize it properly/completely, (b) the BIOS may not provide it with microcode updates and (c) Intel has never tested this processor with this board. I could continue that statement with "and does not warrant that it will work", but your warranty on this board ended long, long ago anyway.

From a hardware standpoint, there are *huge* differences between the SI and TO boards. The TO board is the poor-man's SI board. It doesn't have the VR capabilities of the SI board and it certainly doesn't have anywhere near the SI board's capabilities for handling heat dissipation from these same VR components. I don't know for sure, but It wouldn't surprise me if this board's BIOS is purposely not allowing the higher clock multipliers because it cannot handle the generation of the current required and/or cannot handle the cooling of the components when generating this amount of current.

I have provided you with my opinions. What you choose to do with them is up to you.

...S

0 Kudos