Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Processor Speed Is Limited

AAsyr
Beginner

This happened a few days ago. Before this happened, I was able to do my work just fine, play games without much lag, etc. But then I noticed the performance was slow. When I play the usual games, the FPS took a serious hit, ​and I can't do my work without having the performance distracting me. I looked into the BIOS, and it says that my CPU is capable of doing 2.0GHz, however it's current power is able to do just 0.4GHz

Solutions I tried but didn't work:

Simple format (keeping personal files)​

Full format

Disk check

Clean boot​

Any solutions to this would be greatly appreciated!​

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You did a windows update, right? There have been reports of windows update (that came out on Tuesday) that have caused slowdowns.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAsyr
Beginner

This happened even before the windows update. After formatting, the update was installed, but the performance is still low​

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

You may also want to run this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Doc

0 Kudos
AAsyr
Beginner

Intel System Support Utility results attached. I also did the other one, and it says Pass for all items that are being tested.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Update your bios to 1.13 from the Acer support site.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAsyr
Beginner

I downloaded the 1.13 bios update, and when it finished extracting, it started to freeze my laptop. It's still frozen after 2-3 hours later. Is this normal?​

0 Kudos
AAsyr
Beginner

I found the solution! So it looks like the laptop's battery is what's causing the processor's speed to be limited. My laptop battery has been dead for more than 3 months now, and it appears that laptop batteries do determine if the processor needs to run at full speed or it needs to reduce the speed so the battery life can be extended. So solution? Open the laptop, take out the internal battery, place the laptop cover again, and processor speed is acting normally again. Thank you @Al.Hill​ for trying to help me solve this issue! Much appreciated for your time and efforts.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos