Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Processor i5-8600 won't reach max turbo boost clock

RGonç1
Beginner

I have a question.

I recently bought an i5-8600 which said that has turbo boost till 4.3ghz, but it only reaches 4.09ghz. I wanna know if it may be a defect on the product or some thing that is blocking my turbo for getting higher.

These are my specs:

MB: Asus Prime B360M-K

Processor: i5-8600 3.1ghz to 4.3ghz (turbo boost)

Graphics: GTX 1060 6 GB OC Edition

RAM: 8GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
FLupi1
Beginner

Check bios, sometimes there is that option to lock the turbo. Or run CPUZ to see the real frequencies, Windows does not show the turbo to me, but cpuz does.

0 Kudos
RGonç1
Beginner

I already tried to find it and i don't see any option of that. I got an UEFI bios.

Well i see those clocks on "AI Suite 3" and i also did in CPU-Z.

0 Kudos
FLupi1
Beginner

Is Your bios default? try to load basic settings for bios, that might help.

0 Kudos
RGonç1
Beginner

It is not default as I enabled already the XMP ram profile and set it to "performance"

0 Kudos
FLupi1
Beginner

That xmp might help a bit, but when U overclock the cpu as well. It does not make any noticeable difference, better keep that off and your ram will be safe as well.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do not be concerned with that 0.21 ghz. And, do not start making changes which may adversely affect your processor/system.

Doc

0 Kudos
RGonç1
Beginner

yea i know, the problem is that they advertise that reaches 4.3 and it doesn't. It is misleading publicity...

0 Kudos
RGonç1
Beginner

I was about to buy the i5-8500 and i didn't cause i thought 8600 would be better, but it is the same after all, reaches the same clocks

0 Kudos
FLupi1
Beginner

I agree, 4.3 is what You have paid for. Try to load the default settings in bios and tell us what happened.

0 Kudos
RGonç1
Beginner

frantizsekk

I loaded the default bios settings and it worked! now i can reach 4.3 ghz. I once set the bios to "performance" mode and it just locked my cpu at 4.1ghz , don't know why. Now i just enabled XMP and leave it that way

0 Kudos
FLupi1
Beginner
0 Kudos
HKing2
Beginner

Hi, Asus is known to limit power supply, for instance fx504 tuf is being limited to 25 wats ( instead of 45 watts ) the only way I know to fix it is to active the fan over boost. Which should work as long as your temps are below 70c