Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Processor limited when the PC is plug-in

MHave2
Novice

Hello !

I am writting to you today because I have a trouble with my computer.

Indeed, I have a lenovo w510 Windows 10 with a i7 q720 and when my laptop is on battery, everything works fine, but when I plug my laptop, the processor is limited to 0,93 GHz.

It's very disturbing.

The power mode is in Best performances for the both, battery and plugged in.

Thank you,

Morgan

Laptop lenovo w510

Windows 10

i7 q720

Nvidia quadro 880m

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MHave2
Novice

So, I have now a 135 Watt brick.

everything is ok !

So the problem was from the adapter.

thank you !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Morganfk62,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having problems with the processor's frequency when the AC adapter is connected, I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Now, regarding this problem, there could be many factors causing it. Nevertheless I would like you to try first to see if there is any option in the BIOS regarding the power.

If not, please check to see if there is any BIOS update available since an out-dated BIOS could cause problems like this. Also, please make sure that under "Power Settings" the "High Performance" plan is selected and the option under "Advanced Power Settings" are set as in the picture.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MHave2
Novice

Hey David,

thank for your help.

My BIOS is update and all the parameters are for high performances. Even in the bios, it's enable for high performance.

Now, I am wondering if it's because my AC adapter...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Morganfk62,

Thank you for your response,

I understand, in fact trying a different power supply is advisable (if possible) as the unit could be damaged. However, being honest, when a problem like this starts it is normally the other way around. With power it goes faster and without the AC adapter it saves power, it is quite strange.

So, it is advisable to try with a different power adapters, different power outlet, also if possible re-install the operating system since a fresh install is something that fixes many issues, these are all steps that could be taken for testing and troubleshooting.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MHave2
Novice

After a reset of the parameters of the BIOS, I have this message when I turn on my laptop :

So, it's the adapter I think...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Morganfk62,

Thank you for your response and the information,

Since that is the case then it is advisable to get in contact with the manufacturer of the system so this way they can send you a power adapter and try.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MHave2
Novice

So, I have now a 135 Watt brick.

everything is ok !

So the problem was from the adapter.

thank you !

0 Kudos