Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Processor running hot?

InaRut
Beginner

I purchased 2 identical new laptops with Intel® Core™ i7-9750H processors, one for me and one for a friend. I ran Cinebench, and noticed that my laptop ranked lower than my friends. When running Cinebench again along with hwinfo, my friend's CPU temperature stayed pretty consistently around 81 degrees, while mine stayed consistently between 91 and 96 degrees.

Since these are identical laptops purchased at the same time, should I be concerned about the difference?

Are there any other tests that anyone knows of that I should run to make sure my processor is not bad? Are there any warning signs that I should look out for to know for sure if I should be worried about the difference in temperature?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can certainly run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to test out your processor. Now, while you may be variations in the temperature from one processor to another, you should most-definitely not be seeing as big a difference as you have indicated. I would be returning this laptop and having it replaced. This should NOT be happening with a brand new laptop.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can certainly run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to test out your processor. Now, while you may be variations in the temperature from one processor to another, you should most-definitely not be seeing as big a difference as you have indicated. I would be returning this laptop and having it replaced. This should NOT be happening with a brand new laptop.

Hope this helps,

...S