Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Processor support stop

katy
Beginner

Good afternoon all,

I'd just like to say I am new here and pretty clueless about the innards of a computer, so if anyone has any suggestions please use simple language if possible.

My problem: I have the Intel Support Assistant installed, however, the last graphic driver installation wasn't automatically installed and Intel informed me that this is because my Processor - which is an Intel product - is no longer supported.

Is there a simple solution to this problem, i.e. one that I could possibly work myself? Does the processor have to be renewed and, if so, can this be done by a layperson? What are the possible consequences of leaving things as they are? Will the whole system collapse, and if so, how long might it be before disaster strikes?

Infos, suggestions and links are all welcome.

Cheers and advance thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, not supported means not supported. 

But, So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
katy
Beginner

Wow, that was a quick reaction, thank you.

I actually generated the report and sent it in and support said, give me minute to read through it - which he did. And then he got back to me and said, can't do a thing, the processor is not supported. End of conversation! I have attached the file and hope it is of use.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, your processor is discontinued:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65693/intel-core-i33220-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

And, the last graphics driver can be found under "drivers and software" (which is from a year ago).

0 Kudos
katy
Beginner

Thank you for the mail, but I do know that.

What I do want to know is firstly, if I just leave things as they are will my computer blackout or something in the near future? Secondly, is there a solution? How does one update a processor? Can I do it myself as a layperson or does it need a professional?

My thinking is, if people can use old Windows versions for ages, is it the same with processors? Can you carry on for a few years with an old processor and there are no really dire consequences?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are already running the last version of the graphics driver, so there is nothing to be done there.

As far as a processor upgrade, you would not benefit from doing so, and you are already running a 3rd gen processor:

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/p8b75m_le/HelpDesk_CPU/

Your processor is already not supported by Windows 10.  However, I would not worry about that.

The one thing you could do is to get an nvidia graphics card, like a gtx 1060 (for example), and use that for your video and graphics.   However, in today's world, graphic cards are expensive.  Unless you really need increased graphics capability, I would not upgrade with the card.

So, looking longer term, a complete hardware upgrade is what you can do.  I would suggest that you look for a system (desktop or laptop) that has an 8th gen or later processor.  Before you commit to buying, verify that the processor is on the Windows 11 supported list:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Or, you could just leave things the way they are.  Windows 10 will be supported by Microsoft until 2025 and will still run after that.  Although your system is old, it is not going to "blackout"  unless there is a physical hardware failure.

0 Kudos
katy
Beginner

What a relief to know that!

I am absolutely not into graphics or games, I'm a language person, so to speak. So I shall just leave things the way they are and hope nothing unexpected happens.

Thank you so much for the information and support - I shall have a good night's sleep tonight.

Thank you again and all the best.

Cheers

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad to help.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more thing.  Keep a backup of your data, whether local or cloud.  This is just to be prepared if something does break or you suffer disk corruption at some point in the future.

0 Kudos
katy
Beginner

That's a good idea! I shall certainly do that. Thank you again for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Stay safe and stay sane and keep Covid at bay!

Cheers from Germany.

0 Kudos