Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Processor upgrade

Mike43
Beginner

Is it worth it to upgrade to the newest Intel 7i on a MB DP55WB  I currently have a 5i with 8GB RAM. I may also add 8 GB of RAM.  I want to make sure it is all compatible.

Or should I get a new MB etc and build all over again.  Not for gaming, just video editing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have to agree with Al. The board and all processors that you might use with it are long past their EOL dates and are not supported with Windows 10. Oh, you can get by with them if using a third-party graphics card, but, because of the age of this board and its BIOS, UEFI and PCIe compatibility issues abound. It simply isn't worth the aggravation.

With this board, we are talking about 1st Gen Core processors and 5 Series chipsets. The latest processors released are from the 11th Gen and the latest chipsets are essentially 14 Series. Bottom line, you are talking 10 years out of date. There are constant improvements in Core/Thread performance, Core/Thread counts and lowered power utilization in every generation in between. Consider too that the 2nd and 3rd Gen processors and 6 and 7 Series chipsets are also EOLed and the 4th gen and 8 Series chipsets are approaching their EOL soon. Bottom line, you really want to come forward as far as you can.

Hope this helps your decision-making,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

These are the processors supported by your board and bios:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DP55WB.pdf

Yes, you should get a new system.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Mike43
Beginner

So quick, thank you.  Now I have to do more research.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have to agree with Al. The board and all processors that you might use with it are long past their EOL dates and are not supported with Windows 10. Oh, you can get by with them if using a third-party graphics card, but, because of the age of this board and its BIOS, UEFI and PCIe compatibility issues abound. It simply isn't worth the aggravation.

With this board, we are talking about 1st Gen Core processors and 5 Series chipsets. The latest processors released are from the 11th Gen and the latest chipsets are essentially 14 Series. Bottom line, you are talking 10 years out of date. There are constant improvements in Core/Thread performance, Core/Thread counts and lowered power utilization in every generation in between. Consider too that the 2nd and 3rd Gen processors and 6 and 7 Series chipsets are also EOLed and the 4th gen and 8 Series chipsets are approaching their EOL soon. Bottom line, you really want to come forward as far as you can.

Hope this helps your decision-making,

...S

0 Kudos
Mike43
Beginner

This confirms my thinking; I was just trying to save the $1000 to build anew.  I did get ten years of service out of it but I've been frustrated with how slow it is when editing videos.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Moving from the boot HDD to a SSD will improve your performance greatly.  But still, you are are on life support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos