Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Processor

rolli880
Beginner

Are you going to release new versions of intel core i9 1151 or is 9900k the latest one that exist.  So my qusetion is simply if socket 1151 is gonna have more versions of this processor.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If your question is about upgrading to a newer processor, the socket compatibility is only one part of the problem.

An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, and BIOS compatible.  So, you will need to check with the motherboard manufacturer to see what their bios will support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

rolli880
Beginner

I didnt wonder about the compatibilty beacuse there are updates for bios that makes intel core i9 work on an asus z370-f motherboard. But right now the newes processor for socket 1151 is intel core i9 9900k 8 core and 16 thread and if any new processor will be released that is compatible with socket 1151.   

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since the ICS agents are not allowed to speculate on future products, you aren't going to get an answer from them concerning this question.

Now, my personal take, since I *can* speculate, is that I consider it unlikely that you will see any 11th gen processors in the LGA1151 socket. Intel does not take lightly the decision to change the socket requirements and they will avoid it if they can. The fact that the current 11th gen Desktop processors are all using a LGA1200 socket tells me that they had need for additional pins. Whether this is for power requirements, PCIe/DMI/Memory bus changes, etc. really doesn't matter; the need exists and it likely won't go away.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
rolli880
Beginner

So does that mean that I will not see an intel core i9 with more cores than 8 core and 16 thread for socket 1151. But is there gonna keep coming processors for socket LGA1200 then. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
No, I don't expect any additional 9th gen processors at this point. As for the 12th gen, I do not know. We will have to wait for the 12th gen processor specs to be released publicly.
...S
0 Kudos
rolli880
Beginner

How long could it take until somebody answer on this community. Because I have already put my stuff in line but I waited for one or two days now. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Seems to me like it has been answered.   Also, no one here will speculate on unannounced or unreleased processors.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos