Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Processos drivers

HennryNino
Beginner

I have the Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
on an HP 15da0013la notebook. Processor driver date: 04/21/2009.
I want to update it but I have only found intel graphics drivers (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/122589/intel-core-i7-8550u-processor-8m-cache-up -to-4-00-ghz.html) that update the processor video driver. I don't want to think that my processor was stuck in 2009. I need help finding the latest drivers for the mentioned processor.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What processor driver are you referring to? The only driver for the processor is the graphics driver.

What you are probably referring to is one of the drivers that has been built into Windows by Microsoft. For some processor features, these drivers don't require code changes all that often to work with a particular processor. Instead, they require updates that optimally configure the driver for a particular processor. These configuration updates are delivered via an INF file and are bundled with those for the chipset features that are similarly treated. The package that delivers these INF files used to be referred to as the INF Update package, but nowadays it is called the Chipset Device Software package.

The dates on the drivers is supposed to be updated by the INF file when the configuration is installed. For some unknown reason, this sometimes does not happen. Usually it doesn't matter for proper operation of the driver. If it bothers you to see this, then you should try the following:

1. Download the latest package from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29634/Chipset-INF-Utility?wapkw=intel%20chipset.
  2. Extract the content of the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
  3. Open a CMD Prompt or Powershell window As-Administrator.
  4. Enter the command ".\SetupChipset.exe /overall".

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
zwartsjohn
Beginner

made in 2017 drivers are from 2009 processor not even made yet  8 years later

i have the same problem i7 3940 made in 2012  drivers from 2009

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors

0 Kudos