Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Prozessortausch

xz1
Beginner

Hallo

ich will einen Intel Core i3 390M aus einem Akoya-Notebook P6630 = MD98560 durch einen Core i5 ersetzen. Geht das überhaupt? Und wenn ja, durch welchen genau?

Einen dummen Fehler habe ich schon gemacht, habe mir einen i5 im Internet bestellt. Bin davon ausgegangen, dass die Sockel genormt sind, habe einen i5-10400F 5.90 Ghz mit Comet Lake Sockel erhalten, der passt natürlich nicht, auch nicht der riesige Lüfter. 

Da ich die Packung geöffnet habe werde ich den Prozessor wohl nicht zurück geben können.....

Egal, für einen Hilfreichen Tipp bin ich dankbar!

Schöne Woche wünscht Neuling xz1

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It may be possible, if your existing processor is PGA socketed.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52955/intel-core-i3390m-processor-3m-cache-2-66-ghz.html

However, you would only be able to use another 1st gen processor, if your BIOS supported it, which you would have to determine by contacting the laptop manufacturer.

You will never be able to use a 10th gen processor (or 9th, or 8th, or 7th, or 6th, etc., get the picture?), so save yourself some time and do not bother looking.

And, even if you do get another 1st gen processor, you will not see any noticible difference.

Your laptop is simply too old.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
xz1
Beginner

Danke für Ihre schnelle Antwort. Stimmt leider, mein Laptop ist zu alt. Der Hersteller bietet auch keine Unterstützung mehr. Aber ich hatte irgendwo im Internet gelesen, dass für einen Core i3 ein Core i5 einsetzbar ist, deshalb habe ich es versucht.

Nochmals vielen Dank von xz1

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"butI had read somewhere on the internet that a Core i3 could be used with a Core i5, so I gave it a try.

Only if the BIOS supports it.   Being socket compatible is not enough.   It must also be supported by the bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You want to upgrade the 1st gen Core processor in a 11-year-old laptop from an i3 to an i5? Seriously? What do you expect to get out of this upgrade? It won't be much of a performance boost - and certainly no better from a software compatibility perspective.

In order to make this change, you need to answer a couple of questions. Does the laptop design support the power draw of a Core i5 processor? Does the laptop's BIOS have support for these Core i5 processor(s)? The answer to these questions is not automatically Yes; check before proceeding or you will be throwing away yet more money.

I presume you will be limited to 1st gen Core i5 processors that come in the PGA988 formfactor. AFAIK, the BGA1288 formfactor is for soldered-down application and thus is not applicable. Here is a comparison of the choices that might be available: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=43537,43544,47341,49022,49652,49653,50179,52952,52955. I included the Core i3-390M in this comparison for perspective. I said 'might' because there simply may not be any available at this point.

Good luck!

...S

0 Kudos
xz1
Beginner

Ja, bin sehr naiv an mein Problem heran gegangen, wenn ich gewusst hätte, wie gering meine Erfolgsaussichten sind, hätte ich es gelassen.
Trotzdem, auch Ihnen vielen Dank für Ihre schnelle und umfassende Antwort.

0 Kudos