Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Qual o erro de CPU que pode ser quando há 5 beeps no boot com Pentium G5400?

CLajn
Novice

Ao dar Boot no sistema com Pentium G5400 e chipset H310M 2.0 (Gigabyte) ocorrem 5 beeps e o sistema reinicia e os beeps se repetem. Pelo indicativo signifoca CPU Error. Porém qual o erro? 

Já retirei e reinstalei o processador e o cooler na placa mãe e não resolveu. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok. In that case, you've got a number of possibilities,

• Something has happened to the DIMMs. I consider this unlikely, since there are two DIMMs involved.
  • Something has happened on the motherboard. This could be within the BIOS.
  • Something has happened to the processor's memory controllers. This also involves two memory controllers, but there are singular upstream (cache) entities that, if they suffered a failure, could cause this.

My personal opinion? If you are still within the warranty period, get the motherboard replaced.

...S

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You will need to ask the system/motherboard manufacturer what THEIR bios indicates with 5 beeps.  Yhe 6 beeps do not necessarily mean anything is wrong with the processor, so do not assume that.

CLajn
Novice

AlHill, thanks for the answer. I asked to Gigabyte (the mother board is a H310M 2.0 (v1.0), but neither them know the problem. The answer was that can be anything! Processor, Memory, and so on.. So, maybe I will test what is wrong..... 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

They don't have unique beep codes for different issues? That's a pretty piss-poor BIOS implementation! Tell Gigabyte to get their act together and fix their BIOS.

To test for memory issues, do the following:

1. Remove both DIMMs and see what happens when you power on. What you see (on LEDs, etc.) and what you hear is their memory error indicator.
  2. Install one DIMM and see what happens when you power on.
  3. Power off, move this DIMM to the other slot and see what happens when you power on.
  4. Power off. Remove the DIMM. Install the other DIMM and see what happens when you power on.
  5. Power off, move this DIMM to the other slot and see what happens when you power on.

If it powers on for steps 2 & 3 but fails for steps 4 & 5, then you know the second DIMM is bad. If it powers on for steps 4 & 5 but fails for steps 2 & 3, then you know the first DIMM is bad. If it fails for steps 2, 3, 4 and 5, then the memory is incompatible with the board. Other result possibilities are more complex and we'll need to discuss separately.

Hope this helps,

...S

CLajn
Novice

Hi. Tks for help.

I followed the steps as you suggested, but the 5 beeps happen every time... Maybe I can conclude that the memory  is incompatible with the board, but not.... I have other 3 identical machines that are working normally about 9 months. Also this one had been working until now....

Gigabyte answered that can be anything... 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Have gigabyte verify that the memory is compatible.

Also, did this ever work?  Do you know if the processor is compatible with the motherboard bios?  What is the motherboard model number?

5 beeps can be anything?  Absolutely ridiculous.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok. In that case, you've got a number of possibilities,

• Something has happened to the DIMMs. I consider this unlikely, since there are two DIMMs involved.
  • Something has happened on the motherboard. This could be within the BIOS.
  • Something has happened to the processor's memory controllers. This also involves two memory controllers, but there are singular upstream (cache) entities that, if they suffered a failure, could cause this.

My personal opinion? If you are still within the warranty period, get the motherboard replaced.

...S

CLajn
Novice
0 Kudos
CLajn
Novice

Para concluir essa questão, decidi desmontar o desktop por inteiro e remontar. Tive o cuidado de fazer uma limpeza nos contatos da memória, uma Crucial Ballistix DDR4. Com isso o sistema voltou a funcionar. Suponho que deveria haver alguma oxidação nos contatos.

Portanto, presumo que os 5 beeps (na realidade 4 longos e 1 curto) eram devido ao mau contato do módulo de memória na placa mãe.

0 Kudos